Chapter 39

Chapter 39

The sun blinded her as it slowly dried her wet hair which dripped down her back, the water soaking into the fabric of her tunic, but as water ran down her spine and rays of sunlight lit up the tunnel through the gaps in the gates design, Krista felt tendrils of her old self, rising to the surface.

Gazing through the rhombus shaped gaps in the gate, Krista stared at the sand below the royal box as memories she had long kept at bay started to spring forth.

Memories of Lazarus bleeding upon the sand, his warm blood covering her body as he called her 'daughter' and memories of how the life left his eyes, leaving her alone in this world.

Krista felt her heart begin to grow cold, her blood rush to the centre of her being and her thoughts turn dark as she was once reminded she was alone in this world.

Pompeia had taken her son from her and now she had taken the lives of Frieda and Artorius; Krista was alone in this wide world.

Guards stood on her sides but she barely saw them as stone dust billowed down from the ceiling, the arena bowing under the weight of its spectators.

News of her arrival upon the sands had drawn visitors from the far reaches of the capital and Krista was once again struck by Gaius's intervention in her execution.

Why would he try and aid her? Death upon a cross was a gruesome affair, one that did not come with honour.

And yet, he persuaded the Empress to allow Krista to fight to her death; was it simply a parting gift to an opponent?

Krista had spent the entire night trying to work out his meanings and yet all she saw was a man, who most probably knew her child wasn't dead, protect her when he had no reason to.

His actions confused Krista so she stuck with what she knew and soon the daily life of being a gladiator sprung to life within her thoughts.

She was provided with water to wash herself, cloth and a good meal.

Krista looked down at where her rags had been swapped for the blood-red tunic of a roman soldier, a final insult from Pompeia as she showed the masses her dominance over Krista.

She had been refused armour but at least she now looked fit to die; the grease and mud had been washed from her hair, leaving it to run down her back in long waves, the blood was wiped from her legs and a cloth placed between them.

Krista now looked presentable for when she rejoined Artorius and her family in Elysium.

Her thoughts flared with rage and pain but she pushed the emotions back as a new sound echoed through the tunnel.

Glancing over her shoulder, Krista saw Diomed being escorted to her side. They had been separated the previous evening and she was glad to see a familiar face in the darkness.

He took had been cleaned up and his clothes replaced with the tunic of a roman.

"They've converted us," Diomed tried to joke as he pulled at the fabric he once wore with pride.

Krista felt the corner of her lips twitch but she was too sad to smile as the noise from above them roared to life.

Diomed's head snapped up in fear, his senses being overridden with fear.

Krista remembered her comment from the previous evening, he had never set foot upon the sands.

She did not know how to offer him comfort but as she stepped forward a guard interrupted them.

He was a large man with brown eyes and grey whiskers on his jaw, "Put this on," The guard ordered Krista, shoving a silver-plate breastplate into her arms.