Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Pompeia smiled as she received the news of Krista’s latest conquest; a small villa no less than twenty leagues from her army.

“We have reports that they have killed Marcus Threasius,” The messenger informed the Empress, unnerved by the smile that lingered on her pale lips.

Pompeia had known Marcus and there was no love lost between them.

But Pompeia ignored the young boy, waving him away, as she crossed the room, a certain lightness to her step.

Her bad mood was lifting, Pompeia realised, as she correctly predicted Krista’s exact move.

Soon Krista will find Dianna in the dungeon and her plan will be set in motion.

Marcus Threasius was a twisted man with twisted fantasies; half of Rome knew about his ways and what he kept below stairs.

So Pompeia put her knowledge to good use and ordered Dianna to be locked away, she was sure Marcus would take a liking to Dianna with her blue eyes and fair skin and it would help Pompeia’s cause.

But Pompeia did not care about what Marcus did to Dianna because the more he injured her the more Krista would trust her.

If this Gladiatrix only had one weakness it would be her need to protect everybody.

She may hide it well but Pompeia had seen the look in Krista’s eyes when Gaius had had her blonde Briton friend by the throat.

Krista could not bear people to die for her.

And that would be her downfall.

* * *

“Krista,” The blonde warrior woman spoke in her strange accent causing Dianna to whirl around in shock, as much as she could cramped in this metal cage.

Her entire body froze as she came face to face with her father’s killer; she could feel her eyes growing wide and her lips parting as she gazed up at the Gladiatrix.

Dianna hadn’t known what she was expecting but her entire body flooded with fear as she gazed into the eyes of this killer.

The darkness seemed to welcome Krista as it wrapped around her lithe figure.

Long dark locks of hair fell over her shoulders in soft waves, an armour dress of bronze and silver covered her skin and a long sword rested by her hip.

But it was her eyes; deep cesspools of hate and anger that shook Dianna to her very core.

Those had been the eyes her father had seen as he lay dying in her arms.

Dianna gritted her teeth in anger as she curled her fingers around the bars, pain shooting up her arms as she tried to move.

But this woman not only looked angry, she looked fierce and strong and formidable.

Dianna realised that if she was to succeed she needed to play the long game. Krista would cut down anything in her path.

As Dianna thought this she remembered the conversation with her aunt.

Make her trust you,” Pompeia instructed Dianna, “And once she trusts you . . .”

Once she trusts you, Dianna thought, kill her.

“Get them out of there!” Krista barked at her men as she turned away from Dianna and rushed back up the stairs.

Dianna leaned away from the bars as she grew control over her limbs once more; Krista may be able to introduce pain on others but it seemed she was unable to watch it.