( forty-nine )

The muddy wall Harley kept her back pressed against was uncomfortable, lumpy and cold

The muddy wall Harley kept her back pressed against was uncomfortable, lumpy and cold. She and Octavia have been waiting, eagerly and very impatient, for something to happen. Whether it was someone, grounder or a sky person, marching through the tunnels to them or for the door to open. Something was bound to happen, sooner or later. She was sure of it, her optimism could never let her believe otherwise. She sighed, grasping her knees and pulling them to her chest.

Harley's heart was still surging with different emotions. She was worried, left unknown and in a state of puzzlement for what was happening outside. Clarke and Lexa were in charge out there, and they were both firm on getting their people out of the mountain. She was completely lost as to why the horn of retreat was blown, and was hurt that her and her friend were left alone in their confusion to defend themselves. Harley picked her head up, her chin resting on her crossed arms.

Octavia looked just as saddened and lost as Harley, but her sword handle was being gripped in her hand, the tip dug into the ground. She was just a few feet away, leaning against what looked like a rusty trash canister. She was already staring at Harley, but looked away when their eyes met. Harley wanted to open her mouth, assure her that they were going to figure something out, but the words were only a lump in her throat. She felt helpless, being unable to comfort someone in need.

Suddenly, a loud alarm going off sound filled the silence between them. Octavia let out a short groan, stumbling to her feet. "It's about time," she muttered.

Assuming that it had something to do with the door, Harley outstretched her legs and rose. "Maybe we should try opening the door again. Do you think someone's trying to open it instead?" She asked, forehead creasing when seeing that the door wasn't opened.

"I don't know," Octavia responded honestly. Before they could see, another noise hit them, this time a sliding one. Harley's jaw fell open when a body slid down a chute, a small door opening to allow it to hit the inside of the rusted canister. Her hands gripped the edge, knuckles turning white when realizing who it was. "Fox," Octavia whispered breathlessly.

One of their friends, back in the dropship, was beaten and bloody, her slender body in nothing but thin white clothing. "Oh my gosh," Harley cried out, her fisted hand rising to her mouth to bite down on, fighting back the tears. Clarke was right. They were bleeding out the delinquents for themselves, and one of her friends were already dead.

"Harley," Octavia said softly but cautious. There were heavy footsteps coming from down the tunnel, and she already had her sword wielded in front of her. She waved with her free hand, motioning for Harley to stay behind her.

As the treading neared closer, Octavia went to strike in defense but froze suddenly. The only person who came running around the corner was none other than Clarke, just as shocked to see them. "Octavia, Harley," she greeted. "You stayed..."

"Screw you," Octavia snapped, lowering her sword and turning to stare back at the door wistfully before whirling back around. "Of course I stayed. I know where my loyalties lie."