( twenty-six )

Harley didn't know what it would be like to die

Harley didn't know what it would be like to die. She'd assume that it'd be simple, fast. As in, one second you're here and another second you aren't. She wondered where people would go after dying. Some people on The Ark talked about a heaven and hell, where good and bad people go after death. She wasn't sure what she believed in. But if Harley ever died, she didn't know what was the best way to go. She knew she'd die before hurting someone else, as she almost did.

It was fortunate that Harley didn't die. When she came back from her unconscious state, she didn't know which was worse. No one was in the dropship, not even Clover, from what she could see. Her eyelids were heavy still, but she forced herself to sit up from where she had fallen onto her side. With a sharp hiss of pain, Harley felt a pang of soreness in her side that felt as if she's been stabbed again. On instinct, her hand pressed to her side deeper, feeling blood began to cascade into her palm once more.

"Looks bad, huh?"

At the sound of another voice, Harley's head whipped to the side. She didn't know what she was scared of, if Jasper really did do it, but she breathed in relief when seeing it was only Raven, rolled on her side with a gun in her hand. "I'm glad to see you're alive," she whispered, her hand curling around her wound to cover the bleeding.

"Likewise," Raven replied, weak. Harley took a second to study her. Her normal tan skin was unusually pale, her dark eyes were sunken in, and her breathing was uneven. "If your asshole brother didn't shoot me, wouldn't be in this position."

Harley was at a loss of how to reply. She averted her gaze away, looking down to her blood covered hand. "I'm sorry," she finally said softly. The guilt of what Murphy had done weighed on her, making Harley feel responsible for Raven's pain. She didn't sound as if she was blaming Harley, only bitter about the situation.

Before Raven could reply, there was the sound of footsteps just outside the dropship opening before a shadow appeared at the sheet. Raven motioned for Harley to stay quiet before laying back, covering her gun out of the view of the stranger. Harley leaned her head back, letting her hand fall loose as she shut her eyes, and playing dead as the cloth was ripped to the side and someone stormed in. It couldn't have been one of the delinquents, otherwise they would have announced their arrival. Harley let her breathing fall short to nothing, holding it, and unsure of what do do.

Raven, however, did. With Harley's eyes shut, she couldn't see what the mechanic did, but felt her heart skip a beat when a gunshot rang in the air. She opened her eyes again, seeing Raven groan in pain with who was a grounder dead on the ground. "Are you alright?" Harley asked worriedly, knowing it was a stupid question, but not wanting to see the other die. Raven hesitantly nodded in response.

But Harley didn't buy it. She forced herself to press the palm of her hand harder against her injury, biting her lip as tears welled up from the stinging pain and tried to shift in Raven's direction to see if there was something she could do. "Harley, no," Raven protested when seeing the other in too much pain to move. "Stay there. You have your own problem."