Chapter 28

We've said will never come back here, yet here we were at the bottom of the staircase. Waiting. Staring dead at it.

"You don't have to do this if you don't what too," Olive said, taking my hand.

I started at her with annoyance. Of course, we had to! Damien caused this, and I allowed it to continue. It was like she was giving us a choice that wasn't even an option, that wasn't there, to begin with. If we allowed her to go through there by herself, she'll be dead in a second. Maybe a minute, it did seem like she knew a little about protecting herself.

"No, we can't leave you here." I finally said.

She smiles with relief.

Damien slowly reached into the bag and pulled out a handgun. "Have you ever used one of these?"

Olive shakes her head. "No, but I know how they work."

"Okay, we'll trust you."

He gave it to her. Olive handled it quite well. She jungles it between hands, before checking if it was on safety.

"Do I shot to kill or aim at a limb or something?" Olive holds the gun up by her eye.

I come over, pushing it down, "just don't kill them."

She nodded rapidly, shaking her body in the process. She was getting hyped, and the sight was weird if I'm honest. I've never seen anyone more excited to enter a shootout probably then she was.

Olive creeps up on the stairs, and I swear I could hear her heart beating out of her chest that it frightened me.

"You okay?" I questioned. "You know, you don't have to be here."

Again she nodded her head rapidly, as Damien pulled up the nerves to walk up the cold white staircase before any one of us. He held his gun up at eye level watching both sides before whistling us up.

Olive slide on the walls, until her eyes caught sight of something that made her run without sense, a brain, a conscience.

It seemed to easy because sitting in a brown wooden chair was Kian. After all of this, we watched her run over pulling the wires that squeezed his wrist off. Damien turned it me and raised a brow. I had the exact same expression on my face, confusion.

This was too easy. And as my experience with mine. Father, things don't happen like this. Someone always has to die, that's how the system works, now the question was who.

Damien and I walked over, hesitate, but eventually.

The first shot went off.

Everyone ducked, trying to find a place to hide. Olive and Kian hid behind a white table they throw over, whole Damien and I took any wall we could find.

We aimed to hit, not kill. That's something I hoped Olive got through her head, not just the adrenaline.

I called over to them to see Olive eyes above the table shooting whatever she could see. Kian, on the other hand, was shaking at the sounds itself, that he ran to the staircase.

I watched as he cowered away leaving Olive to do all the work. I turn back to them, hitting someone in their arms, and leg. I knew this was my father's doing, we've already figured that out. Now wall I had to pass my dad stupid test. They weren't going to kill any one of us, that I knew for a fact. It was all show. At least I thought so. It seemed like the most logical conclusion I could make up for my brain to process what had just occurred.

As soon as my eyes turn to her, I saw life zoom into that very moment that I everything changed. Everything that was said before didn't matter because right in front of me was the slowest site that replayed in my mind only seconds after it happened.

She fell.

I watched as her body slowly fell as if gravity was playing a game on my vision. My heart dropped. My eyes were zoomed on her partially lifeless body that landed there. I ran to her side, knee I by to the ground as I took her head in my arms. I came closer, tighten the space between us as I reach up to her nose to feel the breeze hit my skin. She was alive. That much I knew was a fact.

"Damien!" I yelled.

He stood there with shook in his eyes the same as Kian who at the stairs stood with his mouth opened before falling down. They didn't know what to do, I didn't know what to do. 

--------

Comment, like, share