Chapter 21

It's safe to say that I was officially losing my shit.

My father called.

What seemed like weeks without his graceful voice to bless me, seemed promising.  And then I picked up the phone to hear his deep voice pressed against the phone.

I walked out the room, seeing that both Olive and Kian had fallen asleep on the bed, and in weird position too.

I tipped toed out of there, all the way down the stairs.

"Father." I whispered trying to confirm this surprised.

"Jack."

"I've been calling you for week on end, and now you decide to call me."

"Well I've been very busy. It's hard being the bad guy."

I shook my head, "really, because you sure make it seem easy."

My father sigh, a heavy one too. He intend for me to hear it, he wanted me to ask.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Oh,  since you asked, I won't be back until the end of the month possibly the summer." His voice was chilling cold, without a single hint of sincerity.

"Okay,"I nodded. "But first could you help me out."

"It's that girl right?"

"Yeah, it is."

"What about her?"

"Well I need you call off your goons-" as soon as the word came out, I knew he would argue with me.

He raised his voice through grinding teeth, as well as his breathing.  "Don't you even call them that.  They are your family too, whether you like it or not."

"I didn't mean it that way." I tried to say,  but he wasn't having it.

"No, just for that you can enjoy your little problem."

"Father!"

"Doran!" He replied.

I scoffed.  I should have known better by then. Family was everything.  And you don't insult family no matter what they've done.

It was his code.

As much as I hated him, he had a respectable code. A code that took me in, even though I am his blood.

So I turned it against him just for the fun of it. Besides he's already made it clear he won't solve my problem that he created.

"You know, for someone who claims to be dying, you sure hold a mighty tight grunge."

I knew he was smiling over the phone, it's just something he would do.

"Goodbye Doran, and don't kill anyone."

"Why would I? It's not like I'm being aimed at or shot at or anything." I told him sarcastically.

"Your not. " he started. "She is. "

And he hanged up the phone.

I stood there wanting to do something,  but I wasn't sure what exactly.

I don't get it. A man that worship God,  and believe so hardly in his teaching could be so vile and just...I don't know. A terrible person.

He was a fake, just like I am with her. Just like I was with the story. It's true though, it's just the fact that I liked it. And I wanted to do it again.

The promised that I showed was probably the only reason he even consider taking me out. My father didn't just do something from the kindness of his heart. No he had to see some potential,  some investment that he could benefit before considering you for anything.

I wanted to shake it of, as I run my hands tightly through my hair. I was struggling to keep a float. Struggling to come up with new idea to keep someone that my father decided out of the blue should die because he felt like it.

And you know what. He is a sick man. A very sick man.

I was midway through rubbing my face for the thousand times when she slowly crept down the stairs and saw me frustrated.

"So he's not helping."

"How much did you hear?  How long were you even standing there?"

"Long enough to get the gist of it all."

I rushed over to her pulling her in for a hug, as I rubbed her back. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what's going on, and-"

"He's dying. " she whispered.

I pulled away frowning my brows. "You heard that too."

She nodded. "Yeah. And I also know that dying makes people do strange things. "

I scoffed, backing away. "You don't know my father. "

"I'm guessing I know a lot more than you."

My eyes widen with shock.  The claim she was making was stunning, surprising.

"Trust me, you don't know him."

"But I can relate."

"How so?" I was intrigued by her.

"Your not the only one who's witness death you know."

I nodded,  seeing that she was to caught up to even begin explaining herself even more.

I noticed how her body sank, more like gravitated to the floor.  Everything hung low.

I knew I had brought some type of memory back, but if didn't know who had captured her mind, body, and soul.

So I walked over and hugged her again. It seemed logical. And she did thank me.

I pull away slowly, only to see her face. She's smiled a bit, a fake smile probably,  before pulling me back in.

I felt relief when I saw that smile. Even if it was fake, it made me a little happy I guess. I don't know why, but it just felt good. Like I needed to see her go through all of this, just to see that she hadn't given up hope. Something I would have by now.

I stared at the back of the wall for a while, before she felt comfortable enough to let go. I bend over kissed her on the cheek, and wrapped my right around around her as I walked her back up the stairs.

I wanted to kiss her, yes. But taking advantage of a situation wasn't the way I wanted it to be.

So I set her down the bed next to Kian, and headed down to the windows where I sat and stared at the city lights slowly dimming itself until I myself had fallen asleep.

-------------------

I like this chapter, it felt nature writing this. Plus I had music to help.

Comment what you think so far

Like & Share

P.s. I want to thank everyone that's still reading and had read this book because it means a lot that you guys are coming back to it, even when I'm late. And don't worry, it's not the end, I just wanted to say that.