'~ Chapter 22 - Henley and Welton ~'

~~~

It had been three weeks since the incident. Dione's neck had all but healed, bar a slight amount of left over bruising. 

Mr Perry had been arrested for the assault, and was awaiting trial. The Hawthornes offered for Mrs Perry to stay in their guest room so she wouldn't have to stay at her place alone, but she refused.

Neil had taken up residence at the Hawthornes' for the time being. Welton had welcomed him back, but as the holidays were so near he had made the decision to take the last few days off. 

Neil and Dione had spent their time together well, visiting the bookshop at every chance. The flower field was also a common visit for the pair. 

The two chapters of the Dead Poets Society had held their first meeting together there. The meeting ended (as they often did) with a chaotic cacophony as the group danced about the flower field, whooping and cheering as the sun lowered over the horizon. 

'~'

It then came time for Neil's eighteenth birthday. 

He woke up that morning knowing exactly what he wanted to do. And by God was he going to do it. 

Neil burst into Dione's room in a whirlwind. Luckily she was already awake, because he drew her in for a long, sweet, and passionate kiss. 

"I want to move away together. Just you, me, and maybe the other poets. I want to finally be free." 

Dione knew that parts of that weren't exactly realistic, but she agreed anyway, knowing that they'd figure it out. They always did. 

'~'

A few weeks after this event, Johanna came bolting up to Dione in school.

"DI! DI I WAS RIGHT!" 

"About what?" 

"Henley and Welton! They're combining!" 

Dione beamed. They wouldn't be there to see the school go co-ed, but they had left behind a legacy of change. She could definitely live with that.

'~'

Ultimately, Dione's final years of schooling passed without much more disturbance. The trial of Mr Perry was stressful, but Neil and Dione were surrounded by friends and family that they knew would care for them.

They would figure it out. They always did. 

'~'