'~ Chapter 12 - on the other line ~'

~~~

In the cave on a sunny afternoon, the boys- minus Neil, who was yet to arrive- were messing about with some pipes that they had managed to procure. 

Pitts spluttered and coughed as he made a lackluster attempt at taking a huff.

"Attaboy Pittsie, inhale- deeply." Charlie mocked. 

"My dad collects a lot of pipes." Meeks, who seemed to be the most proficient in smoking, inserted. 

"Really? Mines got thirty." Charlie bragged. 

"Your parents collect pipes? Oh- that's really interesting!" Pitts commented sarcastically. 

"Come on Knox! Join in!" Charlie called on Knox, who looked, to put it lightly, absolutely miserable. 

"Yeah we're from the government, we're here to help!" Cameron joked.

"What's wrong?" Todd asked kindly.

"It's Chriiiisssss!!!" Meeks and Pitts teased in unison. 

"That's not funny!" Knox said abashedly.

Charlie whistled and clicked to gain the boys attention. "Hey knock it off!"

The boys were silenced.

"Smoke your pipes!" Charlie said after a short pause. 

As the boys went back to their pipes Neil entered the cave holding a strange object that none of the boys could quite make out. 

"Neil!" several of them greeted.

"Friends, scholars, Welton men." Neil greeted back. 

"What is it Neil?" Meeks asked, referencing the object he held.

"Duh- it's a lamp Meeks." Pitts mocked. 

"No!" Neil corrected, unscrewing and removing the lampshade- "This, is the God of the cave!"

Charlie played a low janky note on a saxophone that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere. 

"What do you say we start this meeting?"

"Did you bring the earplugs?" Todd joked, he had become far more comfortable with his new friends in the past few weeks. 

"Gentlemen!" Charlie announced- "Poetrusic, by Charles Dalton."

Charlie immediately proceeded to play a kerfuffle of sporadic notes on the saxophone.

"Laughing, crying, tumbling, mumbling. Gotta do more gotta, gotta be more."

More frenzied playing.

"Chaos screaming, chaos dreaming. Gotta do more, gotta BE MORE!" 

He then ended on a smooth, slow scale, with one long drawn out note to finish, ruffling Knox's hair affectionately as he sat there looking glum, while the other boys reveled in the performance.

"Wow" "Nice" "That was great!"

"Where'd you learn to play like that?" Neil asked.

"My parents made me take the clarinet for years!"

"I love the clarinet!" Cameron said enthusiastically.

"I hated it!" Charlie contradicted. 

The boys all giggled. 

"The saxophone. The saxophone is more-" Charlie paused for a moment to think- "sonorous." 

This was met with 'oohs' and 'aahs'.