Chapter 15

Happy New Year, everybody. Another year of hustling, thriving and surviving. I am hoping that each of us will get to have a moment where we can turn off the survival mode and just breathe easily. Here's to 2024. 🥂🎉

Chapter 15

I woke up sweating, chasing my breath, and my hands trembling. A sudden chill ran up my spine so I backed away until I hit the headboard, my fingers clasped together, in an attempt to calm the nerves.

The bedside clock reads two am. When the room felt suffocating, I got on my feet and sauntered to the veranda, opened the double doors, and let the early morning breeze press on my skin. I closed my eyes shut for a second and inhaled deeply, then opened my eyes. I did my breathing exercises and sat on the couch when I felt my heartbeat calming down.

I never expected that I would have that nightmare again. I don't know what this means: it could be a premonition, foreshadowing something darker that's about to happen. I just hope that my gut feeling is wrong, because I don't want to cross paths with that man ever.

His dark eyes were so sinister; it held pure evil, and the way he seemed to be enjoying carriers getting auctioned off like a piece of meat... it makes my hair stand. I don't think I can go back to sleep again. I'm afraid that when I close my eyes, I'll see him again and he will come back for me.

No. Calm down, Arden. It happened years ago. He will not remember you anymore.

Releasing another staggered breath, I just stared off into space, preoccupied with my thoughts. I just can't shake off that unpleasant and foreboding feeling that something huge is about to happen and my shaking intensified at the thought of my child's safety about to be compromised. I heard bad things about that man, especially from my mother's husband. That man apparently did things beyond human comprehension; he already left whatever makes him human and enjoys dissecting carriers just for fun.

What he does is that he will offer a huge sum to those who can bring him a quality carrier. That useless man that my mother married was immediately tempted. I did not know that several days after my mother's death, he already signed a contract with that man and sold me off.

That horrifying memory felt like it happened yesterday. I was still grieving in my room when suddenly, armed men broke into my room, pressed a handkerchief onto my nose, and the strong chemical knocked me down. When I regained consciousness, I was in a dark warehouse, the only illumination was the moonlight streaming from the small window on the wall close to the ceiling. From that, I was able to notice that I was in the company of other boys who were the same age as me.

From the limited information I gathered, we are all carriers and we are about to get auctioned off. "Just summon all the gods you know so that you won't get picked by that masked man," one of the carriers softly muttered, his eyes filled with fear and resignation.

"What does that mean? Who are you referring to?" My heart started to beat nervously from the horrified reaction of the carrier, as if he didn't want to even mention the identity of the masked man, but decided to tell me anyway.

He shook his head. "No one knows who he is, but I heard from one of the guards that he collects carriers like prized items. He cuts their head off after he's done experimenting with them and preserves them in a glass jar. Poor them. There was no ounce of dignity in their deaths."

I held my breath when I heard a thump in the door, and a huge man came in, holding a pistol. He stuffed the keys in his back pocket as he scanned his eyes around, as if he was picking a nice piece of meat from the market. "Number 28," came a gruff voice, almost threatening. The number doesn't add up because we are only a few, only to realize that it must mean that I was the 28th carrier that was abducted or sold off.