Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"How are you feeling, Arden? You look pale. We shouldn't have come here. You don't look well." Tyler asked with a voice filled with worry as he sipped his juice and pushed a glass of water towards me, urging me to drink up. I smiled a little and took a sip.

Three days have passed since my check-up, and I just gathered enough courage to tell Tyler my situation. In order to avoid getting my head chewed out, I decided to bring him to that restaurant where Mr. Il Volo frequents, the one Tyler wants to go to.

"I'm okay Ty, but there's something that I need to say--"

"Hold up. Is it good news or bad news? Because I have been wanting to taste their food here and I don't want to puke everything if it turns out to be a bad one," he warned me beforehand with a doubtful expression on his face.

I chuckled and shook my head. "Okay, go on. Eat first, but don't gobble it down. You might want to keep your stomach light for this one." I chuckled nervously and wiped the insivisible sweat on my forehead. I am fucking nervous because I don't know how Tyler will react. Will he look me in disdain? Will he judge me for my carelessness? Will he think of me as an easy lay and criticize me for being a hypocrite-- seeing as I am impregnated by a species I am repulsed of? Will he--

"We suffer more in imagination than in reality."

I snapped out of my spiral and gave Tyler an incredulous look. "W-what?"

"I got it from Seneca, a philosopher. Stop overthinking, Arden. Whatever it is, my love for you is greater than that. You are my family, so whatever it is that is making your face twist in a pained and confused expression, snap out of it. It does not suit you." He reached for my cheek and touched it gently. "I'm here. I won't leave, so take your time."

My throat tightened up and my eyes burned at his words. I was not expecting to receive such gentleness. If unconditional love could take in the form of a person, it would be Tyler. And River. And Aunt Becca. They always love me despite all my faults. They will scold me from time to time, but all of those were coming out of love.

"T-Tyler..." I sniffed and grabbed his hand that was now busy searching for some tissue paper in his bag.

"Yes? Do you need anything? More water? Stop crying, Arden. I'm panicking. You rarely cry and I don't know how to calm you down! Should I call River?"

"Tyler..."

Tyler shoved me some tissue paper and grabbed his phone. "I'm calling River. He knows what to do."

"Tyler, calm down." I wiped the teardrops on my cheek and felt my chest lightening. Seeing Tyler panic for my sake is refreshing. He really cares for me, and I have never doubted that from the start. He may be smaller in stature if compared with me, but he has the guts, the wits and the courage to punch anyone who tries to bully me. Not that someone ever attempted to, since River and his friends always kept a close eye on Tyler and me. Rumors has it that those who dared to approach us with malicious intentions always wound up in the infirmary or in the hospital. Ouch.

"Um, should I get you ice cream? Why is River not answering?! I swear I will kick his balls when I see him later--"

"I'm pregnant, Tyler." It's better to be straightforward about it rather than put River's balls at risk. I can't have that happening.

Tyler slowly placed his phone on the table and looked at me. I smiled awkwardly and nodded. His eyes slowly widened and his jaw went slack. "F-fudge. I can't breathe. Wait a second. Give me water." I was about to give him some when he snatched it from me and downed the glass in three gulps. He stood up and gave me a stare. "Don't go anywhere. I'll be in the bathroom. I need to let this out or I'll go crazy."