22.

There was a soreness between my thighs when I woke up. I was slightly disappointed, waking up alone. I stretched as I woke, the soft light filtering through the curtains casting a gentle glow in my room. I noticed the note on the side table, adorned by a delicate rose, and I picked it up with curiosity.

The note read:

"Dearest Adelaide,

We had to rush for a meeting in Sweden, but we are back in time for your slumber. Apologies for the abrupt departure. We'll fill you in on everything once we return.

Yours,

Lord Knox Sorenson & Lord Alexander Triaughe"

I smiled at the thoughtfulness of the note, knowing that even in their haste, they took a moment to ensure I wouldn't worry. Their sudden departure meant the estate was unusually quiet. I wondered why they were in Sweden, I always assumed Sweden and Norway did not like each other from past events.

I glanced out the window, contemplating how to spend my day. With my beloveds away, the day stretched ahead, inviting me to explore the estate or perhaps indulge in some quiet activities I hadn't found time for in a while.

Ever since I entered the estate I had wanted to explore the gardens. Covered in snow and glittering in the morning light, I jumped out of bed and headed towards my closet. Even with my clothing, Knox had insisted that I have more clothes, specifically dresses, and they all were made from the finest silk and furs. My mother had always made my clothes, or it was past down from her. I decided to wear one of the thicker dresses I own, which was my mother's lined with fur inside from the hares we hunted. I didn't need the expensive dresses today, but I thought if I wore pants Cassandra would kill me.

Why must women wear these long dresses?

Tying my boots and throwing on a hooded cloak, lined with more furs I headed towards the bottom floor of the estate. It was quiet, the maids were off in the building, however, there were fruit and baguettes along with cheese lined on a long plate waiting for me. I grabbed an apple and headed to the back doors, the harsh winds blowing into my face making my cheeks redden immediately.

I never minded the cold, I preferred it over a hot summer. Summer was sticky and suffocating while winter was crisp and quiet. It was only the beginning of December, I wondered if snow had reached Scotland by now. The snow wasn't deep, only leaving a satisfying crunch under my boots as I walked through the property munching on the red fruit.

I wandered through the winter garden, its frost-kissed petals and serene landscape offering a semblance of tranquillity. The crunch of snow underfoot echoed in the hushed air, drawing me deeper into its wintry embrace. As I strolled along, I stumbled upon a guard stationed near an ornate fountain, his expression a mix of vigilance and quiet contemplation.

Curiosity piqued, I approached the guard. "Hello there."

"Min dame," he bowed to me with ease before returning to his lookout as he asked, "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"I'm quite bored, my beloveds are away to Swedan as you must know and Lady Cassandra is out with her beloved in the mountains. Would you like to accompany me? All the maids are busy," I asked softly, hoping he would agree. Even with such a large estate, I felt quite lonely as everyone I knew had left.

"Of course, min dame," he agreed with me with a short nod.

My heart swelled with gratitude as the guard agreed to accompany me. The prospect of someone's company amid the quiet expanse of the estate brought a sense of relief from the solitude I had been feeling.