Loopholes

The next week blazed by, and Y/N did his best to keep his head down and not draw too much attention to himself. Umbridge was watching him, Harry and by extension Hermione, like a hawk through every Defence Against the Dark Arts and Care of Magical Creatures lesson, seemingly desperate to catch them slipping up and doing something she could punish them for.

But the potential of the upcoming article in the Quibbler was a powerful driving force. Y/N didn't want to give her any ammunition. He also had bigger things to focus on.

That Saturday, they were playing Hufflepuff.

The practices, despite seemingly improving over the last few weeks, seemed to rapidly be going downhill. The pressure of the upcoming match seemed to be getting to everyone bar the chasers and Ginny. Kirke and Sloper's aims were getting worse, and there were several times that they hit themselves with their bats rather than the bludgers.

Ron meanwhile was drifting back into his old habits. Following the chasers the entire time and not lingering by his hoops, lunging towards the Quaffle rather than waiting for it to come to him and letting one or two failed saves tank his mood.

'Wish she'd let me resign,' said Ron bitterly, after their practice on Thursday evening, 'but she keeps saying you guys need me.'

'We do,' said Y/N flatly. 'We don't have time to get and train a new keeper before Saturday, and besides, you can do well when you focus. You're just letting the nerves get to you.'

'Easy for you to say. You've done this before.'

'You'll be fine Ron,' said Ginny, 'It's just Quidditch.'

Ron stared at her as though she'd launched a grievous insult at him.

Saturday morning dawned chilly but bright and Y/N swung his legs out of bed with a deep feeling that it was going to be a long day.

'You've got this,' said Hermione supportively as the two of them dressed. 'You know you have.'

'I know the chasers have,' corrected Y/N, 'and I believe in Ginny. But given that the others have control of the giant metal balls and stopping the enemy team from scoring, I'm not counting on much.'

They made their way downstairs and stepped into the Great Hall. Y/N was met by a mix of hisses and cheers from the varying house tables, he ignored them and together he and Hermione dropped down at the Gryffindor table alongside Angelina, Alicia, Katie, and Ginny.

'Morning,' said Angelina briskly and before Y/N could even respond, she leant in. 'What do you reckon?' there was an almost pleading look in her eye as if hoping he bore wonderful news.

'It's up to us to keep us in the running,' said Y/N. 'If Ron misses a couple, he'll lose confidence and scoring will be easy. Hufflepuff aren't exactly a pushover. And Sloper and Kirke... well... if we can catch the snitch and keep the score fairly even, I think we stand a good chance. Not a clean one, but a good one.'

'I agree,' said Katie. 'We've got it in us to win, we know that. We just need to keep trying.'

Angelina took a deep breath and nodded.

'I hope you're right, Y/N.'

'Me too.'

Ron, Harry, Fred, and George proceeded to trickle in and join them over the next few hours. Then, shortly before the rest of the team did, Y/N got up.

'You heading out?' asked Hermione.

Y/N nodded, leaning down to kiss her.

'Need to clear my head a bit, get some fresh air before we start.'