Defiance

Y/N and Hermione awoke the next morning and dressed quickly. The arrival of the weekend meant that the two of them could easily carve through the work they had left and with Y/N having Quidditch practice, they wanted to get it done. That way they could spend the Sunday actually relaxing.

They made their way down to the Great Hall for breakfast, and it wasn't long after when Ron joined them.

'No Harry?' asked Y/N.

'I thought he'd be here with you,' said Ron. 'He wasn't in his bed this morning.'

'He didn't seem particularly happy last night,' said Hermione. She lowered her voice, 'Maybe he's written to Sirius?'

'Probably,' said Y/N. 'We'll catch up with him I dare say, Angelina will kill him if he misses another practice.'

They'd barely finished their conversation however, when Harry sank into the seat next to Ron looking ecstatic.

'What are you looking so pleased about?' said Ron, eyeing Harry in surprise.

'Erm... Quidditch later,' said Harry happily, pulling a large platter of food toward him.

'Oh yeah,' said Ron. 'Listen, you don't fancy going out a bit earlier with me, do you? Just to, er, give me some practice before training? So, I can, you know, get my eye in a bit.'

'Yeah, okay,' said Harry. 'You joining us, Y/N?'

'Not this morning,' said Y/N as a rustling sounded above them and the post owls swooped in, 'we've got some homework to close off.'

A brown owl fluttered down in front of Hermione clutching the Daily Prophet. She paid the owl, detached the paper, and unfurled it as the owl took off.

'Anything interesting?' asked Ron.

'No,' she sighed, 'just some guff about the bass player in the Weird Sisters getting married.'

She flicked open the paper and began to read, Y/N glancing across occasionally over her shoulder. The prophet had mostly been quiet recently, but apparently, today was a different story.

Both he and Hermione spotted it at the same time.

A small article, hidden away on the fifth page. It was barely more than a few lines:

"The Ministry of Magic has received a tip-off from a reliable source that Sirius Black, notorious mass murderer, who escaped from Azkaban two years ago, is currently hiding in London! The Ministry warns Wizarding community that Black is very dangerous, he is notorious for his brutal killing of thirteen people-."

'What?' hissed Y/N.

'What's going on?' asked Harry.

Hermione read out the small snippet.

'Lucius Malfoy,' snarled Harry. 'He did recognise Sirius on the platform.'

'We told him not to come,' said Y/N, 'told him it was too risky, and he ignored us.'

'He just won't be able to leave the house again that's all- Y/N? What's up?'

But Y/N didn't answer, he'd pulled the paper closer to him and was now reading a small paragraph that was tucked at the bottom of one of the columns. He read it aloud:

TRESPASS AT MINISTRY

Sturgis Podmore, 38, of number two, Laburnum Gardens, Clapham, has appeared in front of the Wizengamot charged with trespass and attempted robbery at the Ministry of Magic on 31st August.

Podmore was arrested by Ministry of Magic watch wizard Eric Munch, who found him attempting to force his way through a top-security door at one o'clock in the morning.