ENDING VERSION ONE ━︎━︎ succumb to madness.

𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙤𝙣𝙚 :
OPTION : STAY

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

          THE WORLD WAS so hazy that none of it truly made sense

THE WORLD WAS so hazy that none of it truly made sense. She knew it was probably the effects of the drinks she had taken (what on Earth was in that tea?) but she couldn't help but look upon life with rose-colored glasses.

Was it even real? She couldn't tell.

If it was all real then why was Dani covered head to toe in flowers (with only a face opening) in what appeared to be a giant flower gown? That couldn't be real...Right? Not with the buds of flowers pustulating as they were. Creepy. Picked flowers didn't move like that. Even in her screwed-up state, Joanne knew that it wasn't right. Or maybe it was her. Who knew?

     All the Hårga were quiet, and they were gathered in front of the same platform they had been when they first arrived. All the wedding decorations had been moved and even though there were congratulations (lots of hugs and kisses on the cheeks from people she didn't know) the Hårgan's had moved on. Siv was speaking now.

     "On this, the day of our deity of reciprocity, we gather to give special thanks to our treasured sun. As an offering to our father, we will today surrender nine human lives. As Hårga takes, so Hårga also gives. Thus, for every new blood sacrificed, we will dedicate one of our own. That is four new bloods. Four from Hårga. And one to be chosen by the Queen. Nine in all to die and be reborn in the great cycle."

     Siv motioned to Dani. Joanne kept her eyes on Dani. She too looked extremely out of it, her gaze empty. What had happened? She didn't look like this before she left. A man upon the stage spoke now, even though it took Joanne a moment to process it, "The four new bloods have already been supplied. As for our end, we have two already dedicated and two who have volunteered.

     "Ingemar and Ulf. You have brought outside offerings. Plus volunteering your own bodies. You will today be joined in harmony with everything. And to Pelle," Joanne slowly turned to the man next to her who was smiling proudly, a crown of sorts on his head as well, "who has brought new blood and our new May Queen, you will today be honored for your unclouded intuition. And so, for our ninth offering, it is traditional that our fair Queen shall choose between a preselected new blood and a specially ordained Hårgan."

     The man walked a few steps to his left, stopping in front of a machine that looked like something they would have at a bingo night. But instead of calling out O68, he would be calling out a name that would ultimately decide the person's fate.

     Everyone watched as the ball that had been selected fell through the elaborate pathing, being grabbed at the end of three spirals and read aloud, "Turbeyon." The man announced, his voice growing in excitement, "Honorable Turbeyon! Please step forward. And... Christian Hughes. These are the candidates for the ninth and final offering. We patiently await your verdict."

The man turned towards Dani expectantly. A moment passed. Dani's lips moved, and even though Joanne couldn't even hear her say his name but knew which she had chosen as everyone turned to the paralyzed Christian.

Then everyone snapped into action. It overwhelmed Joanne quickly since she could barely focus on a single person without struggle. Eventually, Pelle brought her to a pile of flowers, telling her to sit in them and relax until he called for her.

Joanne listened, watching the world move around her. She played with the grass, trying to feel it, but it felt sharp. She ripped her hands back, frowning at the warm tingling pain. She looked sadly at the grass.

"Joanne."

She snapped back into reality, looking in front of her to see Pelle kneeling there with a smile on his face. "They are ready, come, raring." He stuck out his hand, waiting for her to grab it. She did since she didn't think she could stand on her own. He led her back to the crowd.

Three people leave the temple. Then, it began. The fire could barely be seen eating away at the insides. It was only when the dark, cloudy smoke emerged from the top did they see the destruction.

All around her, the citizens of Hårga all began to scream and cry for those that they had sacrificed, feeling those who were burning alive's pain. Joanne stood still; her mind still fuzzy as she looked between those she had come to know from her time here.

It was like a strange dance, some gripping at their hair and pulling it. Some scratches on the skin on their face, tears streaming down it. Some threw themselves around.

It was suffocating. The wave of cries, the sorrows that coated every Hårga member like a thick blanket, the type that makes you feel like you're drowning inside of it.

Eventually, she couldn't help it. She had begun to cry too. Her hands found each other, beginning to pick at the skin as she began to feel faint. Joanne looked towards Dani, a hopeless plea for comfort. She found her friend grabbing her heavy flower gown, struggling to make it even a few feet as she wept.

Joanne sniffled. She tried to wipe her tears away, but they kept coming like an endless river.

Fire ate away at the temple, slowly but surely devouring the yellow building and turning it into a dark, burnt mess. Eventually, the walls began to fall away, leaving open frames. and then, nothing.

Joanne watched the destruction. At first, it had looked so brutal, so greedy. But now, it held a light to it. The fire was dancing, it was taking back what nature deserved. This was equal, this was right.

The girl stumbled forward, landing on her butt with her legs folded, her hands on the ground to help stabilize herself. She stared forward, past all the Hårga, focusing on the flames.

Eventually, her tears stopped. She felt a serene feeling rush over her. Suddenly, it wasn't all too bad. Her hearing blurred, the cries and screams going quiet. They didn't matter anymore; it was just her and the fire. It was beautiful. It was welcoming. It felt right.

Was this how it was supposed to be? Joanne turned to the Hårgan citizens; their mourning noises still muffled by her ringing ears. They were usually so peaceful, so joyful. Maybe this was good.

Maybe, Hårga was where she was meant to be.

Her gaze moved between Pelle and Dani. She even had people there, her best friend and her now husband. Sure, it would take some getting used to, but it was fine, and she was content.

She was fine, right?

Right?

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

AUTHORS NOTE !

Different ending next

Posted: September 9, 2023
Words: 1163
Edited: ✘︎