epilogue.

LONDON, UK. 1964.

If Florence Keating were anything, she would be lifeless. 

Once she turned eighteen, her life went downhill as her passions slowly deteriorated. It was difficult to escape the monotonous time loop she called her life. She followed the same routine every day for the past four years.

Time after Welton felt different. It was slower and more dull. Florence hadn't picked up her violin in months; she only performed when her parents asked. 

Florence's parents sucked the passion, love, and creativity from her heart like mosquitos. They controlled her life as if she was a puppet on a string. Even if she was an adult, she still felt the burden of having to please them. She felt drained.

The only time Florence was pleased with a decision was studying at Oxford University. Though they detested her major, English Literature, they still found a way to brag about it to their friends and business partners. It was the last time she ever made them proud. Florence could live in a dormitory away from her parents and see the gorgeous view of her detailed campus. In a way, it reminded her of her times at Welton Preparatory School.

Sometimes, she thought about it, wondering how her poets were doing. Her uncle was well but wasn't the enthusiastic man he used to be. 

After she graduated and earned a degree, she was forced to reside with her parents as they grew old, then she would inherit their estate. Florence got a job as an English professor in a prestigious school in London. Her parents complained that she was following the path of her uncle. 

Florence spread the Carpe Diem motto to her young students, but it didn't feel as lively as the poets. Her students didn't take the Latin phrase as seriously as she did when she was their age, so she felt old. 

It was burdensome to get through life, but one night would change it forever.

-

The alarm clock rang powerfully as Florence slammed it, disarming the machine. She raised the cover above her head, shielding herself from the blinding sunlight. She would eventually get up and begin the same routine she used every day. 

When she got up, she absentmindedly passed the two books on her nightstand: a copy of Pride and Prejudice and an English textbook with ripped pages. She got ready in the restroom before getting dressed, the aroma of coffee drifting into her room. Florence smiled pleasurably before leaving her bedroom.

Her parents were on a trip to Greece while Florence was alone. All she did was work. Nothing was exciting about her life anymore. She couldn't afford luxurious trips and had a beautiful job. She tried to make her teaching entertaining and interactive, but her students didn't care.

While she sipped her scorching coffee, her mother's maid, Linda, approached her, holding a handful of letters. The maid shyly tapped the woman on the shoulder, causing her to look up.

"Mrs. Keating, I-"

"It's Ms. Keating, Linda."

"My apologies," she began. "You have a letter. It's from the States, madam."

Florence furrowed her eyebrows, taking the white envelope from Linda's rough hands. She silently retreated to the maid's quarters while Florence tore open the casing. 

It was an invitation. It was exquisitely designed as simple violets decorated the border, and a neat script was jotted on the note. Florence assumed it was from one of her old classmates, but her heart stopped when she saw the name.

Dear Florence and John Keating, 

You are invited to: Knox Overstreet and Chris Noel's engagement party!