sixteen.

❝and you don't seem to understanda shame you seemed an honest manand all the fears you hold so dearwill turn to whisper in your ear❞

and you don't seem to understand
a shame you seemed an honest man
and all the fears you hold so dear
will turn to whisper in your ear

— duvet, boa

Days had passed since Neil's death, and Florence hadn't felt any better. There was still a void expanding in her heart, missing the days when Neil would be at her door to drop her off at class or bring her to her dorm after school.

School days were worse. Gloom hovered over the students in grade eleven since they had known Neil personally. Parents worried over the incident once the news spread, considering pulling out their sons in fear of them committing suicide. 

In memory of Neil, the school held a funeral this morning. It was horrible. Florence spent the whole hour bawling. What was worse was that Mr. Nolan announced they would investigate Neil's death and why he did it. Neil's friends would be the first to be interviewed, but they didn't ask Florence to prepare herself. She didn't know why.

-

Florence hadn't smoked in a while. She only did this as a coping mechanism to distract herself from her problems. Now, she sat in a luggage closet with the poets, blankly taking a drag of a cigarette. 

"You told him about this meeting?" Charlie asked. A few of them have already been interviewed, but Cameron's currently in Nolan's office.

"Twice," Meeks responded. 

"That's it, guys; we're all fried."

"How do you mean?"

Charlie scoffed. "Cameron's a fink! He's in Nolan's office right now, finking."

"About what?" Pitts questioned.

"The club, Pittsie. Think about it. The board of directors, the trustees, and Mr. Nolan. Do you think for one moment they're going to let this thing blow over? Schools go down because of things like this. They need a scapegoat," Charlie explained, taking another drag of his cigarette. 

After some silence, the door rattled suddenly as everyone put out their cigarettes. Cameron walked in, wearing an awkward smile. "What's going on, guys?" He asked.

"You finked, didn't you, Cameron?" Charlie got up. 

"Finked? I don't know what you're talking about," he defended. 

"You told Nolan everything about the club is what I'm talking about."

Cameron furrowed his eyebrows, pointing a finger at the other boy. "Look, in case you hadn't heard, Dalton, there's something called an honor code at this school, all right? If a teacher asks you a question, you tell the truth, or you're expelled."