thirteen.

❝i'll be your babythere's nothing better i'd rather doi'm lost completelyi might as well be over the moon❞

i'll be your baby
there's nothing better i'd rather do
i'm lost completely
i might as well be over the moo
n

— over the moon, the marias

FLORENCE RECEIVED ANOTHER LETTER FROM HER PARENTS. A faint expression of disappointment was painted across her face when she recognized the mailman at her door. He handed the envelope, greeted her goodbye, and left. 

The door slammed shut as she tore open the envelope, taking the parchment paper. She grazed her hand over the letter, looking outside her window. The sun had already set, and the students still outside started to enter Welton. 

Then, Florence averted her gaze to the letter before her. Eventually, she tossed it on her desk, hoping to read it later instead of bringing her mood down. She was thrilled for tomorrow night since it was the opening night for Neil's play at Henley, A Midsummer's Night Dream. She could read the letter after the play. 

After she put away the letter, she took Pride and Prejudice and began reading. Florence was already at the part where Elizabeth was touring the Pemberley estate. Before she could finish the chapter, a few recognizable knocks came upon her door. It was Neil. 

It wasn't unusual for Neil to visit at night — he did it often. They practiced his lines together daily. So, when he knocked on her door, she wasn't surprised, especially since the opening night was tomorrow.

Once Florence opened the door, her smile faded when she noticed the tears in his eyes. Immediately, she took Neil inside, setting him on the bed. She sat before him, instantly holding his hand. 

"Neil, what's wrong?" She questioned. 

The boy didn't respond for a moment. He sniffled, wiping his tears with his green sweater, hanging his head disappointedly.

"My father was here," Neil explained. "He wants me to quit the play."

Florence raised her eyebrows, watching tears cascade down his cheek. She wiped them off with her thumb, listening to him ramble.

"I've already spoken to Mr. Keating, but I'm torn between my passions and his expectations... I don't know what to do," he spoke, gently biting his lip.

"Neil, I understand how difficult it is for parents not to understand you. But you can't give up on acting and let your father dictate your life. I've seen you act, Neil. There's a spark in your eyes, and you can't let him extinguish it."

Neil looked at his girlfriend, a sense of comfort washing over him. "Thank you, Florence, but my father... he's just so— he's stubborn. He won't understand. I want to pursue acting, but I fear disappointing him as a father."

"Then convince him to watch your play and show how incredible an actor you are! Prove how much it makes you happy. Pursuing your dreams doesn't mean you're disappointing your father. It means you're being true to yourself. It's your life, and you deserve to live it on your terms. I believe in you and your talent. Don't let anyone, even your father, stand in the way of your happiness. Besides, we'll be eighteen soon. We could do whatever we want."

"Thank you so much," Neil whispered through tears. "Your support means everything to me, and it's just... I don't know. It's like you're a miracle! I'm so glad Welton let you come here," he grinned, placing a soft kiss on Florence's lips. 

The girl couldn't help but blush, her eyes traveling around the cramped room. "We should practice your lines; it's your big break tomorrow!" She encouraged. 

Neil nodded in agreement before approaching Florence's desk to get a pen. He noticed the parchment laid on the desk, folded neatly. 

"Your parents wrote another letter?" He asked, showing the paper. 

"Yeah," Florence muttered. "I'm not sure if I want to read it. I don't want to ruin my night," she muttered jokingly. Neil took the letter and handed it to the girl.

"Let's read it, and then I can cheer you up with my incredible acting," he smiled, earning a laugh from the girl.

She gently opened the letter revealing her mother's neat handwriting. 

-

Dear Florence,

I am writing to inform you of a decision I have made regarding your education. Starting from the next school term, I have decided to bring you back to London from Welton Academy.

As your mother, it is my responsibility to ensure your upbringing aligns with our family values. Recently, I have noticed a lack of discipline and complacency in your academic performance and conduct at Welton Academy since it is focused on men. The students may provide a distraction to your education.

Your school in London offers renowned classes for their dedication to discipline and high standards of conduct. I believe such an environment will contribute to your long-term success and aspirations for your career.

I hope you understand that my decision comes from a place of love and concern for your well-being. I trust in your ability to adapt and thrive in this new setting. We can discuss the practicalities of your transition back to London in person when we next meet.

Sincerely,

Mary Keating

-

An uneasy feeling churned in Florence's stomach, noticing Neil's eyes darken. She gently put the letter away, pulling together what she had received. 

"W-what?" Neil stammered, approaching his girlfriend. "Next term is in January! That's less than a month!" he added.

"I guess we both have parents who want to dictate our lives," Florence remarked, tears welling in her eyes. She averted her gaze to the rest of the room, avoiding Neil's painful look. "I don't want to go, Neil. This— this is the only time I feel happy. I belong here with you and the dead poets."

"Are we going to tell the rest—"

Florence shook her head. "No! I'll tell my uncle, but that's it," she muttered through silent sobs. "We can't give them the news yet; your play is tomorrow!"

Neil nodded in agreement before approaching Florence, pulling her into a tight embrace. "It's okay; I'll send you letters every week," he assured.

"No, that's not it! I want to be with you — face to face," she sniffled. "I can't imagine being without you anymore; it seems impossible."

The boy cupped her cheek, staring into her teary eyes. "We still have a few weeks. Let's make the most of it then, shall we?"

Florence let out a relieved chuckle before placing her lips on his softly. She felt Neil smile against her, causing her stomach to erupt into fireworks.

She was in love with Neil Perry.

-

A/N: I'm not prepared to write the next chapter 😭 (it's the play)

— 6/23/2023