five.

❝you're the only friend i needsharing beds like little kids and laughing 'til our ribs get toughbut that will never be enough❞

sharing beds like little kids 
and laughing 'til our ribs get tough
but that will never be enough

— ribs, lorde

FLORENCE STOOD IN THE CENTER OF HER ROOM, playing her violin swiftly. She wanted to practice in preparation for the future Dead Poets Society meetings where she would now be performing. As much as it scared her, she also felt excited to see others so enthusiastic about her playing. Her parents attended every recital but always left early for "work reasons."

A clatter suddenly echoed in the hallway, almost making Florence drop her meaningful violin. She set the instrument down before checking on the disruption outside. To her surprise, it was Todd and his textbooks and writing supplies on the floor.

"Todd! Are you alright?" she asked, kneeling and helping him pick up his scattered supplies.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I heard you playing, and I was listening, then I dropped m-my stuff," he explained, picking up the final pencil on the floor.

Florence grinned. "Do you always listen when I practice?"

Todd shook his head. "No, only when I walk past," he admitted.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it," Florence got up, dusting her pants. "Let's walk around."

"O-oh, alright."

The girl rushed inside her room and grabbed a blue cardigan, quickly putting it on before walking with Todd. She watched Todd hold the books against his side, anxiously fiddling with his fingers.

Florence walked by him, unsure of where they would go, but she decided to start a conversation before she figured it out.

"Why didn't you read at the last meeting?" She asked. She noticed Todd lower his head. "Well, you don't have to answer that; I didn't mean to put you on the spot—"

"No, no. It's alright. I don't like speaking in front of large crowds, that's all."

"Oh. You know, I get it. I used to get nervous when I had recitals. I had to perform in front of a hundred people!" Florence gestured, watching as Todd started to look up at her.

"How did you not freak out?" He forced a laugh, still picking at his fingers.

"I did. Five minutes before it was my turn," she mumbled, reminiscing the embarrassing memory. "But, my violin teacher told me to imagine everyone disappearing into thin air. It was only me on the stage and no one else. For some reason, it helped. You like being alone, right?"