The Second Encounter

"Yo Haruki, what is up!" He slammed the door open with unnecessary force and an incredibly loud voice.

The others members of the student council jumped while I simply sighed from where I was sat at my desk.

"Please don't do that Chimon, you'll scare my student council members." I spoke from where I was sat at my desk.

Chimon Saruda, someone I have known since elementary school. A scary fact, considering who he is. Not smart at all, girl crazy, and very hyperactive. With his bald head and rounded ears, some have related him to a monkey.

Even I wouldn't degrade him that much.

Most of the time, at least.

"What, can't I check up on my best friend?" He skipped across the room, leaning onto my desk with both elbows. "Aren't you happy to see little old me?"

"Not really, no." I replied. "I'm trying to work."

"Ouch! My heart!" He dramatically flailed.

I didn't even have the energy to raise an eyebrow at him. I simply continued to work on the papers in front of me.

"You've been working nonstop this week, dude." Chimon sighed. "You need to lighten up a little."

"I don't have the time to afford to do that right now." I replied. "We're short on members and I'm busy working on planning next week's sports day."

"I do appreciate that." Chimon nodded. "I love myself a good sports day. But don't you think you're pushing yourself too hard?"

"I don't understand." I replied.

"Just look at yourself!" Chimon pulled up his phone, changing the screen to photo mode so that when I looked into it I would see me.

I glanced upwards for a moment, seeing my usual self. Straight black hair swept to the side and out of the face, with gray glasses covering my eyes.

"What?" I questioned, going back to my work.

I hadn't a moment to waste. We were already on the final day of the week and more preparations needed to be made.

"You have bags under your eyes and you're pale!" Chimon exclaimed.

"I'm always pale." I responded.

"Not this pale!" Chimon argued.

"I appreciate your concern Chimon, but I am fine." I replied. "Don't wait on me."

"If you say so." Chimon sighed. "I'm going to hang out with Itachi then. We're going to find some hot babes without you! I hope you miss us!"

Chimon ran out of the room.

"That's...quite the eccentric friend you have there." The Vice President stated, approaching my desk. "I can't say I disagree though. About you."

"I'd rather not do this either, but we're behind schedule." I stated. "Can you get me a drink from the vending machine?"

I pulled out some coins and placed them into the Vice President's hand.

"What kind?" He asked.

"Just some energy drink." I replied. "Any kind."

I continued to work after hours until the school had closed. By then I had finally made my way out as the sun had started it's slow descent.

I walked my way back to my apartment room, my bag feeling heavier than usual. I climbed the steps, slowly making my way up, my vision clouding as I made my way to my room.

I reached the room, fumbling for my key in my pockets before shakily taking them out. I tried to enter the key in, only for it to refuse to go in.

"Damn it...work..." I lightly mumbled, trying to get my shaky hand to shove the key in.

"Hey! What are you-?" A familiar voice entered my ears.

I turned towards them, only for my vision to grow darker as I felt my knees buckle. I leaned against the wall, only capable of a half-hearted chuckle.

Someone was in front of me, but I couldn't make out their face.

How ridiculous.

I'm supposed to be the smart one, and yet here I am, reaping what I sow for not listening to Chimon.

Damn it.