My Sunshine - George Pt3

When I woke up, no more sunlight was poking through my curtains anymore.

My arm was stiff and most of my blankets were pushed to the floor along with my three foot teddy bear. Don't question the power of Mr. Fluffers, he helps me sleep.

I picked up everything and just threw it on my bed in a big heap.

The house was quiet. Even from my room on the third floor, I could hear no sounds from Lockwood or George. They were both probably sleeping again.

I checked the clock on my nightstand. It was nearly nine.

I felt better though. I slept longer than usual. I stretched a bit and then got dressed in a jumper and some sweats.

I made my way down to the kitchen, trying not to make too much noise.

The kitchen door was slightly ajar and when I opened it, there was a pot of soup on the stove just as Lockwood said. I walked in and noticed a note on the table. Y/n, we've gotten a bit ahead and have gone exploring. Eat some soup. I put in extra carrots just for you - A.L.

I sighed. Of course Anthony would just leave. Maybe it was George's idea since he can't bare to be around me.

I took some soup in a bowl and went to the table. Maybe my dreams were hopeless. Maybe George really hated me so much that he couldn't admit it. Maybe he puts up with me because we're coworkers and not real friends.

Or maybe he's just jealous that I figured out the Venice case before he did. He always did doubt my abilities.

He also argued against keeping a stray kitten I'd found. So I had to leave it at an animal shelter.

Maybe George was losing it. When agents get older, they lose their gifts and some even start to get all nutty. Maybe I loved a psycho.

Nevertheless, I picked up a marker and started to draw on our communal table cloth. Just doodles of the three of us and then words and illustrations.

Soup and drawing really go well together.

After messy and angry scribbles, I cleaned up the dishes and went back to my room. I made my bed and prepared for a night of loneliness.

The boys never usually left without waking me up to tell me where they were going.

I guess I was an exception now since Lockwood knows how much George hates me.

It hurt but not as much as my last agency. Not like anything mattered anymore.

I sat in my bed with Mr. Fluffers and began reading a book.

It was a boring book for a perfectly boring and lonely night where I was alone in a big house with no one else but my giant teddy bear.

I should have kept that kitten.

After about an hour of reading, I heard the door unlock downstairs and the boys walked in. They were loud and laughing. Glad they're happy.

I walked downstairs to see Lockwood putting back his rapier.

"Morning sleepyhead," He smiled when he saw me.

"Thanks for the soup," I said.

"Y/n, sorry we didn't wake you. George was just so giddy to solve this case," Lockwood apologized.

"What case?" I asked. "I didn't hear the phone ring."

"The Vernon case. Turns out, Enid was the killer. She was found trying to steal Bobby's sources from the DEPRAC burning center. Her son was also arrested but they found nothing. Apparently he hadn't been in contact with his mother for years," George spoke up. "Anyway, Enid was arrested on counts of murder, hiding and concealing evidence and attempted theft of a live source."

I was stunned. "You went without me? After all of the evidence I found? The evidence you didn't look hard enough into? You went and did it without me?" I asked.

Lockwood looked from me to George, "You told me Y/n didn't want to do the case anymore."

"You are unbelievable, George Karim," I scoffed and ran back upstairs to my room.

I couldn't believe it. I worked hard and found evidence that proved a supposed innocent lady had murdered her young husband in cold blood. I trusted an idiot with what I'd found and what did he do in return? He goes and gets her arrested without me.

I fell in love with an insufferable and witty ray of sunshine. I guess you could say that it's my fault. I let his kindness and closeness blind me.

George was absolutely worth all of this anger if it meant that I could have five minutes staring at his face but he also wrecked my future career.

I'd always wanted to be a detective once I lost my talent. I was always keen at seeing between the lines and looking where no one else did.

And I guess I need to start seeing between the lines when I'm with George. What is inherently good is not always good for me.

I heard a knock on my door. "You better have some hot cocoa for me."

"Only the finest," Lockwood responded.

"Come in," I sighed.

Lockwood opened the door and brought in a very large mug of cocoa.

"I didn't know, okay?" Lockwood said as he sat on the edge of my bed. "I didn't know how much this meant to you. I'm sorry." He put the cocoa on the edge of my bed.

I smiled at him. "It's alright, Anthony. George is just a huge prick sometimes."

"Why do you hate him so much?" He asked.

I laughed. "I don't hate him."

"Then why are you both always arguing and yelling and getting upset with each other?"

"It's complicated, Locky."

"More complicated than a 40 year old murder case?"

"I like him a lot, Lockwood. And I know it sounds pretty unprofessional but I can't help it. For as much as he seems to hate me, I can't help but love him. It's awful really. I can't get any bloody work done when he's around and I hate how I feel about him."

Lockwood only smiled. "My mother used to tell me that when you meet the right person, they'll be very stubborn and yet frightening at the same time. She said that only the right love made you want to rip your hair out but also vie for their attention even if everything seems out of control. She said when someone is enraptured with the thought of someone, it'll drive them crazy."

"Your mother sounds very wise. But I don't ever think he'll feel the same way. I heard you talking to him in the library before I went to sleep. He hates me."

Lockwood just smiled. "I think you two just need to sort it out by training together. A bit of practice from the ghost simulators and you'll be back at it again."

"So you agree he hates me?" I asked before sipping my hot cocoa.

"Y/n, just, think about it. Okay? Training together develops team working skills and also doubles as practice for any jobs we might get."

"Fine, but if my rapier accidentally jabs him in the arm, it wasn't my fault," I smiled.

"I'm going to go now before you get anymore ideas," Lockwood just smiled.

"Thanks for the talk, Anthony. Oh, and the cocoa," I smiled.

"Anytime, Y/n, anytime."

He shut the door and I heard him walking back down the stairs.

I sighed and changed my clothes to put on something more suitable for training.