Breathtaking - Kipps x reader

Part one

I was in George's room researching with him about the bone glass.

"I think I've found something, y/n, look," He motioned for me to come over to his desk.

I'd just turned nineteen a week ago and nearly got ghost touched when Lucy and I were trapped in Bickerstaff's secret experiment room.

My talent was fading and I couldn't see as many ghosts as before but Lockwood agreed to keep me on because I was relatively good at researching cases.

"He talks about a Mary Dulac that Bickerstaff experimented on. And I cross referenced that name in this book," He patted a book larger than my head that was next to him. "And it says that Mary Dulac wrote a book, a book of confessions."

"Oi, Lockwood, Lucy, get in here," I called for the others so they could see what George had discovered.

They walked in and I guess they looked shocked. George's room was a bit of a mess. Papers and books were everywhere with a notebook of information hastily scribbled down lying on George's bed.

"Did you figure out the bone glass?" Lockwood asked.

"No, but I figured out a lot of Bickerstaff's experiments with the bone glass. I just told y/n that one of Bickerstaff's followers, Mary Dulac, attended one of his parties and disappeared, only to return ten years later half out of her mind," He showed a page from the journal we stole.

"So he experimented on Dulac?"

"Well, I think that's the case but, look here, Mary Dulac wrote a book of confessions. A book she says contains the secrets of the bone glass," George pointed at a page of the really thick book.

"Great, where can we get it?" Lockwood asked.

"That's the thing. There were only a few printed. But there is one close to us. It's in Fitte's black library," George looked defeated.

"How're we going to get in and out of Fitte's without raising any questions?" I looked at George.

These poor kids have been through so much already, we really needed a win.

Lucy smiled. "I think I have a solution." She handed Lockwood a small envelope.

"To Mr. Anthony Lockwood and Co. We formally invite you to Fitte's at 50 Ball?" Lockwood read off the card.

"It's our only option," I said, taking the invite from Lockwood. "Formal dress? I don't even own a proper pair of dress shoes."

Lucy took the invite from me, probably in disbelief.

"Well then, guess you two better get shopping," Lockwood grinned.

Lucy and I left a few minutes later, money in my pocket from Lockwood, insisting that he pay for our expenses. I didn't argue even though it was like taking the last candy from a baby wearing a suit.

"I want a blue outfit," Lucy said as we took a walk down the street towards the city shops.

"I just want an outfit that'll turn heads and make people jealous. Maybe Penelope Fittes will adopt me," I laughed.

"Oh yes, I'm sure she'll want to adopt a nineteen year old who lives with a bunch of children," Lucy smiled as we approached the shops.

The first shop was for dresses and other fancy things that I could care less about. But according to my boss who was three years younger than me, we needed to look the part.

I picked out a lovely top with a matching bottom and Lucy got her blue outfit.

We went to the fancy shoe store that Lucy called 'glittery hell'.

I wanted to get heels even though I didn't need them but instead, Lucy and I got matching boots that went with our outfits.

I also picked up Lockwood new silver cuff links that were little rapiers. It was always handy to keep a bit of silver on you in case of an attack.

Lucy and I were walking back home when I felt someone following us. We were right outside a small cafe when I stopped.

"What's wrong?" Lucy asked me.

"I'm just going to stop inside quickly. You can go on without me," I assured.

"Okay, but if you're not back when we're leaving, I'm telling Lockwood you've been kidnapped by Winkman," Lucy sighed.

"Fine with me Luce Goose," I smiled. "See you later." I watched Lucy walk down the street and turn the corner, out of sight.

I turned around to finally confront the person following me.