→ 𝐈𝐈𝐈.𝐗𝐋𝐈

.

ACT III
CHAPTER XLI

the winner/winners

THANA WATCHES THE screen with a look of disgust on her face, this act of district 12 had gone too far in her opinion

THANA WATCHES THE screen with a look of disgust on her face, this act of district 12 had gone too far in her opinion. If she could, she would puke on it. How did the game makers get it in their heads to allow 2 victors if they are from the same district? It just smelled fishy, and Thana can't understand why they would do it, if not for district 12. The whole Capitol was either rooting for district 2 or district 12, and mostly the latter one.

"I know you are thinking the same," Johanna pipes up from besides Thana, "don't even try to disagree."

"I am not," Thana sighs, "and to be honest I think every victor here is thinking the same thing. Maybe except Haymitch, but who can blame him?"

"I would," Johanna says observing her nails, "I am sure the game makers will eat their words in a few days."

"Oh, I do hope sooner," Thana bumps her shoulder against Johanna's, "after all, they are going to the cornucopia soon. We will see blood again."

"Yeah, I hope this stops soon," Johanna fakes a yawn, "it gets really tiring."

"Yeah, two weeks is so long," Thana agrees, "how do these people still find this so entertaining?"

"I won't answer that," Johanna grins, "you know the answer and I want a cup of coffee."

"You so have a coffee addiction." Thana says following her to the bar.

"Only when you are there," Johanna smiles happily, "Oh, I do love that smell, fresh coffee."

"You are not good in your mind," Thana smiles at the girl.

"Something we all already knew," Johanna sings to Thana as the barman hands her a steaming cup of coffee, "Thank you."

"Can I offer you a drink as well?" The barman asks Thana with a wink. The latter one sharing a look of disgust with Johanna at the tone and implication of the man.

"No," Thana says with a blank face, before turning to a lady behind the bar. "Can I have a cup of herbal tea?" the woman mutters an of course before handing the victor a steaming cup.

"Asshole," Johanna whispers to Thana once they are a few steps away from the bar, "he asked openly to have sex with you, disgusting."

"I am shaking from it," Thana mutters and surely the older girl notices the shaken stature of her friend.

"It is okay," Johanna smiles sadly at the girl, pulling Thana closer by putting her arm around the girl's shoulder. "I am here for you."

...

"There are only 4 tributes left," Finnick says, interrupting the girls who are not watching the games, "the boys from 2 and 11 and then district 12." BOOM!

"Down to three," Johanna straightens her back, "I might want to know who the winner is, so I can actually say something about it in my interview."

"So do I," Thana agrees as she sees the boy from 11 lying dead in the fields. "They are pushing them towards the cornucopia again." She realizes.

"Yeah, I think we shall get the winner somewhere this night." Finnick agrees.

"Ugh," Johanna groans, "that means no sleep for any of us victors."

And like they said, as the evening fell, so did the standing tributes run towards the cornucopia. Two boys and one girl. Thana could swear the wolves running after them were not normal, but then again when is anything normal in the Capitol? In the room next to the one for the victors she could see all citizens watch the screen with full attention. Of course, Thana rolls her eyes, the day those people are not interested in watching kids fight for their lives she will celebrate.

Thana would much rather be at home right now, watching the stars and moon while patiently waiting for the sun to appear again. She would be stargazing with her father; it makes her smile softly. How she misses that man and everything he does. She longs for his embrace and yearns for his kind eyes. His happy surprise visits when he joins her for dinner and always compliments her cooking, the cooking together. The just being together. Of course, her father still has to work, but he always manages to make time for her.

Verrill Jardin was the man Thana would want to model her lover after. Kind eyes, understanding, supportive, strong but also asking for help, and of course giving help without making it a big thing. Maybe her father isn't to most open person, but Thana knows the strength and endurance of his heart, something very precious to the girl. Yeah, her father is someone she understands her mother falling for. Of course, she can also see in why her father fell for her mother. The loving nature of the older woman, her beauty, how she always wants to help as well and of course the strength and endurance also found in her heart. Yeah, her parents are a perfect match and the love they share so beautiful. Even now that her mother is so emotional neglectful and emotionally hurting other people.

...

On the screen only the tributes from district 12 were left standing. Thana and Johanna are leaning together as the morning is coming again. Both feeling like wrecks for staying up all night. And there wasn't even that much commotion in the night. Next to them, Finnick is still half sleeping.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," the voice of Claudius Templesmith rings through the hall, "there is a change in rules, there can only be one winner again."

On the left of the victors a lot of commotion can be heart, the noise waking the half asleep Finnick up who looks confusingly around the room.

"What is happening?" the sleepy voice catches Thana off guard, and she realizes that this is something the Capitol civilians like about him.

"Rules changed again," Johanna answers, "only one victor."

"Like we said," Thana grins, "they are eating their words very soon."

In the arena the two 16-year-olds look at each other in defeat. The boy saying, she must kill him, but the girl finding herself unable to do so.

"Together," the girl says handing a few berries to the boy who looks at her in confusion.

"Together," his voice breaks as he takes the things that killed the girl from 5.

Slowly they start raising their hands in rebellion to the rules of the games. With each second the hands come closer to their mouths and Thana is sure the girl would sneak her way out of it.

Once the hands are millimetres away from the mouths of the tributes the voice of Templesmith rings over them again. "Stop! Ladies and Gentlemen, the winners of the 74th Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark of district 12!"