→ 𝐈𝐈𝐈.𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕

.

ACT III
CHAPTER XXXV

the district on fire

THANA SWITCHES ON the television and sits down in a chair as Wirt and Felica have chosen the couch. On the screen the logo of Panem appears, Thana sighs softly as Caesar appears on the screen. He talks about the games and announces district 1, and as he does so, the logo of district 1 appears in the screen.

"Marvel and Glimmer," Caesar says shortly and it shows to blonde older looking teenagers, you can see they have prepared themselves for this.

"District two," the logo appears, "Cato and Clove," a tall and well build blonde boy comes in view with next to him a cunning looking short black-haired girl that smirks.

"Those four are the most lethal," Thana notes pausing the television, "they as you can see have trained for this. Together with most likely district 4 will form the career pack."

"Isn't it forbidden to prepare yourself?" Wirt sneers, madness radiating from his body.

"Yes," Thana agrees, "but they are Capitol favourites so they close their eyes to that."

"So unfair," the boy mutters under his breath as Thana resumes the television.

More districts get shown, a young boy from four, a fox-like girl from 5, some frail looking tributes from 6 and 7, district 8 with two 13-year-olds. And then Wirt and Felica stand eye-to-eye with themselves as Caesar announces them.

"You two look quite good for such a shot," Thana compliments the two, "a little bit scared but not crying like the girl from district 3."

"Is that a good thing?" Felica asks curious to know the answer.

"In my opinion it is a good thing to look sort of strong," Thana says looking at the two tributes, "it shows that you are capable."

"Capable of dying you mean," Wirt sneers, "can we please continue."

"Of course," Thana disregards his first statement resuming the television. It shows for district 10 two tributes alike to Wirt and Felica, just flipped in age.

"District 11," the logo of the second-last district is shown, "Thresh and Rue," a strong build boy is shown with a very young very child-looking girl besides him.

"District 12," you can hear Caesar take a breath of surprise, "Peeta Mellark and their first volunteer, Katniss Everdeen." A blonde boy and a girl with black-hair are shown, the lighting making them look pale with the grey-like colours around them.

As soon as the shot closes, Thana puts the television off. "That are your opponents," she smiles sadly, "you'll catch the first glimpses just before the parade tomorrow."

...

"Don't you two look great," Thana smiles at her tributes as they reach the chariots. Both wear a silver and golden colour to represent grain silos.  "The colour suits you two very much." She looks at the stylists, "can they mount already?"

"Yes, they are all done," Ilya smiles brightly, "they look the part."

"Come, let us help you," Thana helps Felica get up the chariot, "you don't have to be afraid," Thana smiles kindly at Felica and Wirt, "just remember to smile and wave every so now and then. I am sure that will come naturally."

Felica's shoulders deflate a little, "but we don't nearly look as good as other districts."

"Don't let the outfit get you down," Thana pats her shoulder, "make sure you wear the outfit instead that the outfit wear you, okay?" The mentor looks at the other tributes and sees Johanna looked annoyed, it makes her smile as Latif stands with August watching the first chariots leave.

"At least this you're your tributes aren't the only ones in horrifying outfits," Thana remarks once she gets close to Johanna, "the silver and gold of my tributes outfits is to puke out."

"I have to agree," Johanna laughs, "how is little Jardin?"

"Latif is sort of getting by," Thana looks at the screen showcasing the first chariots, "I am taking most of the mentoring on me." She sighs, "it sucks that Rohan didn't come this year, but then again I wouldn't come either if I didn't have to."

"Well look at the bright side," Johanna bumps against Thana's shoulder, "you at least don't have to do the stupid interviews during this stupid opening ceremony."

From outside immense cheering starts, the camera's show district 12 on their chariot. Behind them fire comes from their black outfits, the tributes look around confused as the Capitol people shout and scream at them.

"Now, that is what you call a good stylist," Johanna says, envy dripping of her face.

"I heard from Arthur that he is a newbie," Thana remarks, "he dropped a name, I thought he said the stylists name is Cinna."

"Well, lucky them," Johanna puts her arm around Thana's shoulder, "seems like Haymitch got the jackpot this year."

"You're just saying that because your stylist sucks," Thana laughs, "but yeah, Haymitch has gotten the jackpot this year."

"District 12 is on fire," Finnick laughs as he reaches the younger victors, "are they trying to die before the games start or something?"

"Don't tell Haymitch that," Thana laughs back, "or do, maybe he can get home earlier then."

"We do be matching," Johanna says, and she sees Finnick scan their outfits, "no, not in what we wear," Johanna snickers, "we all have young frail looking tributes."

"Now, don't generalise on Titania," Finnick says, "she is a career, the boy, Asdell not of course, but anyone can see that."

"Asdell," Thana snickers, "sounds as bad as Wirt, who calls their child Wirt?"

"Wait, your boy tribute's name is Wirt?" Johanna laughs out loud, "then I speak lucky with Gunther."

"Yeah," Finnick pats Johanna's shoulder, "seems like you win the contest of which boy has the best name this year." He looks over his shoulder, "I think I should head back, Mags probably needs me again when they get back."

"Good idea," Thana nods, "I am gonna find Latif and force him to help me with Wirt and Felica. See you guys tomorrow."