Chapter Twenty-Two

"I love it when you do that."

"Mmm. Yeah?" My finger slid over Jayden's lips.

"Yeah."

"Mmm. I also love it when you do that, but if you don't stop kissing me, I won't be able to make dinner."

"Are you going to cook?"

"Yes. And I have a secret assistant." I laughed, taking a step back from Jayden.

"A secret assistant?"

"Yep. Evelyn's Recipes."

"She was an excellent cook."

"Carmen told me. I'll try to cook some of her recipes."

"Sounds good. I have more work to do, too." He buried his hands in my hair. "We'll pick up where we left off tonight."

I kissed him gently and bit his bottom lip. "You can bet on that."

After I went back to the caravan, I looked at Evelyn's notebook. Beer ribs with potatoes. It sounded easy and delicious, and I had all the required ingredients.

I cut the ribs, seasoned them with spices, and added beer. Then I cut the potatoes. I put everything in a pan, covered it with aluminum foil, and put it in the oven. "Ha! Now let me see how you'll manage to burn this time!"

"Are you talking to the meal?" Jayden asked me with a laugh.

"No." I turned to him. "Okay, yes. Could you not laugh at me? Did you finish your work?"

"No. But your parents called." Jayden handed me his cell phone. "I think it's about time we got you one of these, too."

"No, thanks. I'm fine like this."

He kissed my forehead. "Okay. But call your mom. I told her you'd get back to her."

Jayden returned to the garage, and I dialed my mother's number.

"Savi, how are you, honey? What are you doing?"

"Hi, Mom. I'm cooking."

"You're what?"

"C-o-o-k-i-n-g." I spelled it to her. "Do you know that word?"

"Very funny. Of course, I know it. Who do you think cooked for you when you were little?"

"The chefs from various restaurants?"

"Okay. You're right. Anyway. Tell me what happened. Did Dominic sign the divorce papers?"

"I wish. But he thinks it is more fun to blackmail me."

"What do you mean?"

"Give me that phone!" Dad's voice came from the other end of the line. "Savi! What is Dominic doing? What is he blackmailing you with?"

"Oh, nothing, Dad. Don't worry."

"Tell me, Savi! Don't keep us in the dark."

"Okay. He wants me to give him back my wedding ring in order to sign the papers. But I sold it, then Emilio bought it, and now it's in Dominic's possession. But he won't admit it. He wants either the ring or $500,000."

"I'll kill him!"

"Yeah. Get in line. But kidding aside. Don't worry. I've hired a lawyer, and he'll do his job." I hope.

I heard Dad's sigh through the receiver. "Okay, honey. And what are you cooking?"

"Beer pork ribs with potatoes."

"Is there a room in your caravan for one more person?"

I started laughing. "I wouldn't hurry over. So far, everything I've tried to cook has burned. But if this meal turns out to be good, I promise you that the next time you come, I'll cook it for you."