Chapter Three

We drove a few blocks, passed an auto service, and stopped behind it.

"We've arrived," Jayden said, getting off the bike.

I also got off and looked around. "This... You live here?"

We were standing in front of a white caravan parked in the middle of a large lot.

"Yes," Jayden replied. "Come in." He invited me as he opened the door.

Anxiety came over me again. But I had no choice before me. I climbed the two steps and went inside.

The interior was more spacious than I had expected. It was very clean and tidy.

"You can sleep on the bed." Jayden motioned to the bed at the end of the caravan.

Then he pulled up the wooden tabletop, which clearly functioned as a dining table, and spread out a small couch.

"I can sleep there," I told him awkwardly. The couch didn't look comfortable to sleep on, but I was the intruder in his place.

"Don't worry."

He reached over to me, took his jacket from my shoulders, and placed it on the chair.

I sat on the bed's edge and looked around curiously. Why did this guy live in a caravan?

As my gaze darted left and right, it suddenly stopped at Jayden's bare chest. He'd taken off his t-shirt.

"I hope you're not feeling uncomfortable," he said, catching my awkward look and putting on another t-shirt at the same time.

Then he took off his jeans and hung them over the back of the chair with his jacket.

The awkwardness grew. I turned my head to the side and quietly whispered, "It's okay."

"Do you want me to give you a t-shirt to sleep in?"

"No thanks. I'm fine as I am."

I put off my shoes and slid up the bed.

"Okay. Good night," Jayden said softly.

He pulled a duvet for himself from the small wardrobe—one had to wonder how it could possibly fit clothes, let alone bedclothes—and turned off the light.

"Good night," I murmured.

I pulled the duvet and wrapped myself in it. The fabric was rough, but it smelled fresh and pleasant. I turned to my side and closed my eyes.

But I couldn't sleep.

Dominic's face appeared before my eyes over and over again. And Caroline's. And Hayley's. The threesome. I remembered their words. Their excuses. Their lies. How long had this been going on? How long had they been making a fool of me?

My eyes were tired. But the tears continued to flow. My lips were drowning in their bitterness.

I lay in the darkness, feeling as lost as never before. I tried to hold back the sobs, but eventually, they burst forth.

"Hey, Savi. Are you okay?" Jayden came and sat on the end of the bed.

The yellowish light from the yard lamp crept in through the window and softly illuminated the space.

I sat up slightly. "No. I'm not okay," I answered, sobbing.

"Do you want to talk?"

"No." I shook my head. "I can't."

I felt like I couldn't breathe again.

"Shh," Jayden whispered. "Breathe."

He took a deep breath, and I followed him. Then we both exhaled. Again. And again.