Chapter Sixteen

"Savi?" Jayden held out his hand to me.

"Don't touch me! So just an hour ago, you told me you were in love with me, and now you're sending me away after Sophia shows up? I should have known you were no different from all men!"

"What are you talking about, Savi?"

"You just told me to leave!"

"I did not."

"You did!"

"No, Savi. I said I think it's time for you to leave the motel and move in with me."

"You didn't... Did you? Really?"

"Yep."

I covered my face with my hands. "Apparently, I stopped listening after the 'leave' part. I don't know what's wrong with me."

Jayden grabbed my hands and pulled them down. Then he looked into my eyes. "I am not your husband, Savi. I will never hurt you." He kissed my forehead. "And I meant what I told you today."

I grabbed his t-shirt, balled it into two knots in my hands, and rested my forehead on his chest. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Come on, let's go home." His fingers twined with mine. "And, for the record, Sophia means nothing to me."

"Okay." The corners of my lips curled up slightly. "Let me pack."

I put my clothes and toiletries in bags. Jayden took them, threw them over his shoulder, and left the room. After a bit of quick tidying, I followed him out.

Jayden had secured my luggage to the bike and was waiting for me at the reception. I walked over and put the room key on the counter.

"I told you that you wouldn't need this room for much longer." Carmen winked at me.

"Yeah, it looks like that," I replied, walking up to Jayden and hugging him.

"You look great together!"

"Thanks. And you? Have you thought about what I told you?"

"Actually, yes. Well, I'm not doing exactly what you told me, but I called Pamela and invited her to visit me for the weekend."

"Carmen, that is great!" I exclaimed.

"What am I missing?" Jayden cut in on our conversation. "Who is Pamela?"

"Carmen's girlfriend." I hastened to answer.

"Let's not be too quick with definitions, Savi." Carmen chided me, though I was sure she liked the sound of me calling Pamela her girlfriend.

"How about we get together in the evening at the caravan when she arrives? We will eat, and the boys will play their guitars... It will be great! That way, she will be able to get to know us and feel more comfortable about you staying here." I turned to Jayden. "If you don't mind... I should have asked you first."

"You don't need to ask me anything, Savi. You can invite over whoever you want, whenever you want."

"Super! What do you say, Carmen?"

"Sounds cool!"

"Now it's time to work." Jayden leaned a bit closer and whispered, "But I can take a short lunch break before that..."

"Um, Carmen, we're going. See you."

I took his hand, and we both hurried toward the bike.

After we got back to the caravan, Jayden put my luggage inside.

"I'm just going in to take a shower. Hold your thought," I whispered to him as I removed my clothes.

I went into the bathroom and turned on the shower. The warm water washed over my body. I took the sponge I'd had there for quite some time and put shower gel on it.