Chapter Nineteen

It had been two weeks since I'd filed for divorce, and still, there had been no word from Dominic. I wondered if he would reappear at the door or send someone to me.

As much as I doubted it would be easy, I prayed he would sign the papers and free me.

Finally, my lawyer informed me that Dominic's lawyer had invited us to a meeting at his office to discuss the divorce.

"This is good. Right?" I asked Jayden.

"I don't know." He pulled me close after hanging up on Attorney Newland and tossed the phone to the other end of the bed. "We'll find out tomorrow."

I rested my head on his arm and hugged him tightly. It was going to be one of the longest days of my life. I wanted it all to be over. I wanted an hour sooner to forget about the family that brought me so much shame. I couldn't stop thinking about everything Dayna told me. How could such heartless people exist? To abandon a child who was their blood? I didn't even want to ask if the girl in question got pregnant during my relationship with Dominic. It broke my heart to know that a child grew up without a father.

"Savi, don't worry," Jayden interrupted my thoughts. "Everything will be fine. We will get through this together."

"I hope. But I have a bad feeling."

"Don't—"

Jayden was interrupted by a knock on the door.

He got up and opened it. "Hello," he greeted. I looked up to see who it was, but I couldn't see it from the bed. "Yes, she's here. Come in."

At that moment, my mother and father entered the caravan.

"Savi! My girl!" my father exclaimed.

I jumped out of bed and threw myself into his arms. "Hi, Dad! I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too, honey. I wish you would have let us be there for you with what you've been through."

"I needed to be alone."

"Not quite alone as far as I can see." Dad took a step back and looked at Jayden with a half-smile.

Out of my peripheral vision, I saw my mother rolling her eyes. But I paid no attention to her.

"Dad, Mom, this is Jayden."

Jayden, leaning against the table, reached out to my mother, but she looked away and crossed her arms.

But my father reached out. "Thank you for watching over my girl," he told Jayden warmly. "I'm Harold." His green eyes, which I had inherited from him, smiled along with his mouth.

"It is a pleasure to meet you. You have a wonderful daughter." Jayden replied.

"Yes, she's lovely. And living in a caravan isn't suitable for her at all," my mother interjected.

I took a step towards her. "But somehow, living at a mansion like a palace with my husband cheating on me, hurting me, and making a fool of me—that is all suitable. Is that so, Mom?"

"I didn't mean that. Okay, you want to divorce Dominic; you have a right to do that. But you might want to seek a more fitting company."

"Vivian!" Dad scolded her.

I glanced awkwardly out of the corner of my eye at Jayden. But he stood calmly, leaning on the table, and even smiled.

My mother seemed unfazed by Dad's remark and turned to Jayden. "Look, boy. You seem nice and well-mannered, and you obviously care about our daughter. But what can you give her?"