Chapter Nine

The midday sun was already high in the sky. The birds sang their endless song. Only the noise of the motorbike engine accompanied them.

My hair blew back from my face; my heart pounded as hard as it had the first time I'd gotten onto the bike. But this time, it wasn't out of fear. Nor discomfort. I felt a million times more comfortable on it than in the luxury seats of my Range that Dominic had given me for my birthday.

Why, then, did this rebellious heart refuse to calm down?

"Savi!"

"What?" I asked Jayden, startled.

"I repeated your name several times. You were somewhere else again, huh?"

While talking to me, Jayden seemed to turn his head slightly toward me.

"The road! The road!" I shouted in fear. "Eyes on the road!"

I heard his giggle.

"Don't laugh at me!"

"I'm not. You are just very sweet when you freak out. Don't worry. You are safe with me. Now, hold on! Tight!"

I tightened my arms around him.

"Are you ready?"

"For wha—" A mighty roar stopped me from finishing my question, and a moment later, the bike was drifting on only one tire down the deserted country road, leaving a cloud of dust behind us.

"Oh, my God!" My screams almost made it over the noise.

A rush of adrenaline filled me, bringing with it a surge of energy spreading rapidly through my blood. We were flying. Without wings. Racing the wind. Racing the day. Without direction. Without purpose.

"How are you feeling?" Jayden asked me after slowing the speed.

"Unbelievable!" I shouted, even though I could be heard at a normal level.

I let go of my arms and stretched them out to my sides, raising my head to the endless sky.

I inhaled deeply. I wanted to take in every moment. To remember every thrill. To capture every drop of life.

"Savi, hold on to me!"

"I am fine. Just keep both tires on the ground."

We were already back in town. Before long, we parked behind the motel.

"I wish I could spend all day on the road, but I have two cars and a motorcycle waiting for me at the garage."

I got down and stood in front of Jayden, stretching my arms forward, my elbows resting on his shoulders.

"It was amazing. But I won't hold you back. Go to work."

The moment I took a step, Jayden stopped me. "Wait a minute. You'll scare someone like that," he told me, giggling.

He fixed my hair, which was clearly a mess, then intertwined his fingers in mine, pulled me to him, and kissed me.

It was a small, sweet kiss.

"See you soon." I smiled as I walked away.

I entered my room without being able to remove the smile from my face, walked over to the bed, and fell back onto the firm mattress.

I took a deep breath, biting my bottom lip. "Wow!" I gasped. "Okay, enough emotions, Savi!" I muttered to myself. "It's time you do something useful too."

I got out of bed and started rummaging through my purse. Up to that point, I hadn't missed anything from my previous life. But at that moment I felt the absence of my mobile phone. It had all my contacts in it.