Chapter 14 - Why to marry Dan Thompson

A/N: I love this movie. It's one of the best and you can't change my mind.

"I'm sorry."

These are three words I never thought I would hear out of Matt Taylor's mouth. I was just about to go to the piano room, when he scared the shit out of me by popping around the corner. But that wasn't why he was apologising.

"Wow, you actually know these words?" I say sarcastically and he rolls his eyes.

"Yes, don't be so surprised."

"It's hard."

"That's what she said." I whisper.

Matt is looking at me, appalled but he soon curves his lips in a smile, shaking his head. "Yes, it is."

"What are you sorry about?" I ask him and fold my arms across my chest.

His expression changes immediately, from amused to serious.

"I'm sorry I said to your dad I would kill him. I shouldn't have been that harsh." The last part he kinda mumbles so I can't really understand him.

"It's fine."

"It's not, Laken. He is your dad, I should've shown a bit more respect."

I smile and step closer to him. It looks like he wants to say something else, like it's stuck right behind his lips and he doesn't dare to open them and let it out.

"Yes, it was harsh, but he is a horrible human being. He was always horrible, since I can remember." My voice breaks, just for a second, and he notices it because he steps closer and puts his palm on my cheek. His thumb is drawing invisible, random patterns over my skin. It feels so nice and relaxing...

No, not again.

I take a step back, a bit proud of myself for doing it. I didn't let Matt Taylor sweep me off my feet. Even though he did that just a few hours ago. But I told him to put me down then also.

His hand hovers in the air, where I was seconds ago, before it slowly falls down to his body.

~~~

Monday passed like any other normal day. Nothing interesting happened, except there was one thing. Matt had the test I've been tutoring him for today. I didn't wish him good luck on our drive to the school, because we didn't speak and he refused to look at me since I stepped away a couple of days ago. I was still thinking of him on that period, nonetheless.

So today is Tuesday and he said his teacher always returns their tests the next day. I am now standing in front of the classroom — I had a free period — waiting for the bell to ring. I hope he did well.

He did, we studied and he knows his shit.

Finally everyone starts slowly pouring out of the room, with Matt at the end of the line. It surprises me a bit, not gonna lie. He is looking at his shoes and doesn't notice me until I wave my hand in his face.

"Matt."

He lifts his gaze on me but his face doesn't show any emotions.

Oh, no.

"How did it go?" I ask nervously, fidgeting with the straps of my backpack. He looks at my fingers and then returns his eyes on my face. 

"Not so well."

I stop with the nervous gesture and try to comfort him, " What matters is that you tried really hard, and also, we can always..."

"Laken, I'm messing with you! I got 90 precent!" He lifts up his test and I see big, red number 90 and a bunch of check ticks.