xxxi. promises of love

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE!

PROMISES OF LOVE!

ROSALIE HAD KNOW Peeta Mellark about three weeks before the boy had been transported to the Capitol. She didn't know him much at all, but from the limited interactions she'd had with him, he seemed like a ball of sunshine — as happy as he can be in such a dreary world. He was caring, kind and undoubtedly in love with Katniss Everdeen.

And it physically hurts the brunette's heart to watch how much his condition has deteriorated over the past few days.

His cheeks are sunken in, there are dark rings beneath his eyes, and there is a tremor to his voice when he speaks. It's a truly horrific sight, one that plays on her mind for hours after she's watched him on the screen. For several days, the whole of Panem is broadcasted the boy's sullen face as he calls for a ceasefire — an end to a war that is really only just beginning.

Rosalie listens to hissed insults of the people around her, the way they turn their heads up in disgust, and if it wasn't for the fact Finnick grounded her by intertwining their hands, she would've said something.

Peeta Mellark is not their enemy, he is the furthest thing from it. He is a victim of the Capitol and their attempt at propaganda to entice people to fight on their side. He's not a bad person, that much is obvious from their interactions, he is merely lost and looking for a way home.

Coin and the other high ranking officials, along with Katniss, Haymitch and Finnick have been trying to figure out a way to extract the former tributes from the Capitol. It's going to be no easy task, security had more than likely doubled, and everybody knows the face of Katniss Everdeen — meaning that any sighting is a bad one.

Rosalie had been kept away, not made a part of any sort of tactical planning, and she's more than okay with that. It's given her time to spend with Carter, and Prim who has started to tag along as well. They'd sit by Carter's bedside and chat, Prim bringing her cat several times to surprise the boy — Carter had always wanted a pet.

"Do you think the food will ever get any better here?" Carter asks as he stirs the soup in his bowl, once again allowed out for meal times. "I feel like I'm eating dirt,"

"Better dirt than nothing," Finnick points out as he slips into the seat beside Rosalie, a smile on his face. 

"I don't think dirt is very nutritious,"

Rosalie rolls her eyes as Carter still eats what's in front of him, apparently not that scarred by the taste if he's still going. His dramatics are something that he'd picked up from their older brother, in fact she sees so much of Asher in Carter it physically hurts. The way he smiles, the colour of the hair on his head — all of it is Asher.

Rosalie dips a small portion of her bread into what's left of the soup in her small bowl, allowing it to soak up into it. She casually eats it, enjoying the food as much as she possibly can. The flicker of their screen is the only thing that manages to pull away her attention, and Peeta Mellark is once again before them.