xxi. she's back

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE!

SHE'S BACK.

ROSALIE BARTON STILL COULD NOT BELIEVE that she was back doing the one thing that had haunted her for years — competing in the Hunger Games. She honestly believed that she would be okay this time around, that she would know what's coming. However, now that she's actually here, she realises just how terrible the feeling is.

She can admit that this time is much worse, considering Finnick is here with her. If he were to die in here, well, she has no idea what she would do. It would tear her apart, rip her into thousands of pieces and she doesn't know whether she would be able to recover from that.

Rosalie breathes in deeply as she steps off the ship and heads towards the area where she will be kept until she's dispatched into the arena like cattle. A hand gently grabs her wrist and she looks back to see the familiar eyes staring down at her.

"You find me the minute you step off," He speaks to her quietly. "We stick together,"

"Of course," She replies, her tone portraying her fear.

His hands move to grasp her face lightly and he gives her that smile, that at the moment, feels as if it's only reserved for her. Finnick presses his lips against her's and she doesn't hesitate to return the favour, laying her hand on his shoulder. When they pull away, she gives one last fleeting glance before she's directed away from him.

The outfit she's put into is definitely suited for a water surrounding, which benefits her greatly. She cannot say the same for most of the other district — all she can hope for is that Katniss and Peeta know how to swim somewhat of all hopes of a rebellion will be squashed before they have a chance to start.

Stepping into the tube like structure, Rosalie takes a large breath and gives Lila a parting nod before she's transported upwards. Every limb of her's is shaking as she sees light start to pour over her, this is it. This is the moment where she is thrown straight back into a nightmare.

Rising up and having to see all the familiar faces around shakes her to the core, and a terrible sense of dread flows through every vein in her body. She cannot see Finnick where she is standing so she assumes he's on the other, the sun shining in her eyes and blocking her overall view of him.

She can, however, see the young blonde boy from District Twelve who looks even more nervous than she is feeling — a result of not being able to see Katniss she guesses. Hopefully, Finnick is able to convince the girl that they're her allies, not her enemies. She's quite cagey and closed off, Rosalie is one hundred percent sure it will be easier to convince the boy she can see near her – he seems to possess a kinder and more trusting personality.

Peeta looks around and her eyes connect with her's and all she does is simply nod. She watches as his gaze flies all around him and she comes to the conclusion he doesn't know how to swim, at least not properly. Fantastic.

As the clock ticks down, Rosalie can feel her heart begin to accelerate at an extreme rate, the anxiety ripping her apart from the inside. This hasn't gotten any easier, not that people would really expect it to.

"You've got this, Rose," Rosalie whispers to herself as the number on the countdown hits single digits. "You got this,"

5.

The brunette pushes some stray hairs out of her face and behind her ear.

4.

She glances at Peeta one last time.

3.

Clenching her fists she leans forward slightly, ready to jump into the ocean.

2.

Her gaze moves to the water.

1.

As the buzzer like noise sounds around her, Rosalie dives straight into the rippling water below her. She can hear other tributes splashing about around her, probably quite a few of them struggling to tread in the water. She's never been so thankful to be from District Four, the fact that she has been swimming since she could walk almost — it's something everybody in the District has learnt.

She manages to make her way up onto the platform, the Cornucopia in her sights. Rosalie can hardly see anybody else, she simply assumes they're all still behind her. Grabbing a few throwing knives off of the side, she then hears shuffling behind her. Spinning around, she's ready to launch the weapon but stops just in time when Rosalie sees Finnick holding his hands up. Letting out a sigh of relief, her body relaxes — he seems just as relieved to see her alive.

"Duck," Finnick says to her and she does as told, the trident whizzing over her head. The sound of the cannon makes her cringe but she still moves over to him. "You okay?"

"Yeah," The two of them don't have the time to embrace due to the sudden yell.

"Peeta!"

Rosalie spins around to see Katniss rushing towards the water where Peeta is fighting with another tribute. The two District Four tributes run over to them which Katniss doesn't seem that surprised about — Finnick must have spoken to her before moving to Rosalie.

The two of them who are fighting in the water continue until they're both under the water. When the cannon goes off, Rosalie's eyes widen but it's nothing compared to the expression on Katniss' face. All fear vanishes, however, when the boy resurfaces. Peeta paddles over to them rather slowly, Katniss and Finnick helping him out of the water.

"You okay, Peeta?" Rosalie asks as she looks at him, her eyes searching his face as if she's looking for some sign of injury. "No injuries?"

"No, I'm okay. A little worn out but I'm okay," Peeta breathes heavily, using his hand to brush his hair out of his face.

"We should get moving," Finnick interrupts the conversation, placing his hand on Rosalie's shoulder. She looks back at him and nods her head.

The four of them disappear into the trees, taking the items they'd retrieved from the Cornucopia with them — the rebellion beginning to simmer with every move they make.

Note!

Thank you for reading!!