xi. zachariah

CHAPTER ELEVEN!

ZACHARIAH.

WARNING : this chapter contains gruesome imagery and blood. Please read with precaution.

FALLON AND ROSALIE HAD BOTH FALLEN ASLEEP BESIDE ONE ANOTHER. They had gone to sleep talking about home and their families, the people who they miss the most. It was nice and Rosalie had found herself smiling genuinely for the first time in a while.

"Your District Partner, he's still alive?" Fallon asks as the two of them walk through the foliage. The brunette looks over to the girl from Seven and nods her head.

The boy from District Three had been the only one shown in the sky last night, meaning that Zachariah is very much alive out there somewhere. She's grateful, she hopes that at least one of them get to go home to their families.

"Have you tried to find him?" Fallon questions further.

"I don't think he was overly fond of me to begin with," Rosalie responds as she fiddles with the knife in her hand. "I'm glad he's alive though,"

Fallon smiles softly at her and nods her head. "My District partner was gone the first day. I think he was one of the people at the Cornucopia. He was a lovely boy, only thirteen,"

Rosalie's breath hitches at that — thirteen. That boy had hardly lived his life and the people in the Capitol were happy to stand by and watch him die. It makes her sick to her stomach. Whilst she is Seventeen, technically still a child, she had lived more of a life.

"I'm sorry," Rosalie breathes.

"Yeah, me too. Back home, his parents don't have anymore children. Lost their oldest in the Games a few years back. The one your mentor was involved in,"

She doesn't even have to mention him by name, but Finnick Odair automatically crosses her mind.

"She was only young too. I was so determined to help him get to the end, you know? I made it my job and I couldn't even get him past the first day," Fallon mumbles.

"That's not your fault. There are some extremely vicious people here, Fallon. He wouldn't blame you and I know his family wouldn't either. You shouldn't blame yourself for something like that," Rosalie gently assures, watching as her ally's eyes fill with unshed tears.

"Yeah, maybe,"

The two of them go quiet, the only noises around them are those of nature. Fallon skims her fingers over the surface of the trees, the rough trunk pushing against her skin. Rosalie, on the other hand, has her full attention on the space in front of them - her knife tightly grasped in her hand.