xxix. the capitol's message

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

THE CAPITOL'S MESSAGE

Things have admittedly gotten a little bit better for Rosalie since her brother opened his eyes. She is still the furthest thing from the happy girl she'd been years before, but she's able to relax a little more. Carter, whilst still in a hospital bed, has been that extra motivator to get herself together.

He still hasn't spoken with her about what happened that night, what happened to their family, but she isn't going to push him to. She wants him to recover first, to have a few days of happiness before reality crashes down on him cruelly. There's no doubt in her mind, however, that he probably sees it every time he closes his eyes.

"Where'd you manage to find that?" Carter questions the older girl as she carefully knits the fabric together. It reminds him so much of home, his older sister sitting in the comfortable chair and knitting them matching scarves and sweaters. "I highly doubt District Thirteen had leftover knitting supplies,"

Rose smiles and shakes her head, looking at her little brother. "No, Finn brought it back for me. They went on a small trip to some of the Districts that have been- and he found it,"

Carter doesn't question why she shifts what she was going to say, simply nodding in response. Watching his only remaining family member shrink back into her shell is disheartening, in fact it brings a small tear to his eye. She'd already been through an astronomical amount already, this is just adding to the pain she must be feeling.

Rosalie, on the other hand, is much more worried about her brother.

A knock echoes throughout the room and Rosalie turns her head, her face lighting up slightly as Finnick makes his way in. "Hey, dinner is almost ready. Doc said that Carter can come out for some food before coming back,"

Carter sits up quickly at the sound of that, smiling so bright at the thought of getting out, even if it's only for a little while. Rosalie puts down her fabric and stands up, helping her brother out of the bed and towards the cafeteria like area. If its even possible, the food in the hospital is somehow worse than what everybody else has been getting — Carter would take literally anything over that stuff.

Katniss and Gale are already sitting at a table, a few more seats around them. Rosalie guides her brother into his seat before going with Finnick to grab some food. When they return, the younger boy is talking animatedly to the two from District Twelve, only stopping to thank Rosalie for the food.

Rosalie slips into the seat beside him, and Finnick takes the one on the other side of her's. Almost out of instinct, the brunette gently grasps Finnick's free hand, only needing the one hand to eat her food. He gently squeezes, bringing it to his lips and kissing it gently before allowing their interlocked hands to rest on his thigh.