-Job-

(Nothing to do with the chapter but)

(Her sand castle.)

"So? Is it all good to you?" I asked.

I lost my tub to a netrunner... Sharing is caring Kiwi.

There was a keyboard terminal set up on my sink, a small portable one, a stool jammed in there too and the ground was covered in cables now for the multiple interface plugs and an ice makers in the corner of the room.

Most netrunners can log in and out by themselves unless there is an external force or a damaged/missing implant requiring assistance but it was always safer to have someone operate the terminal in case something happened.

"You went out of your way to get all this?" Kiwi peered in the room.

"I am not a cheapskate, I didn't waste my time with yah to fry your brains when you want to log in, plus if you short circuit you fry those not so cheap implants."

"Lovely of you to think of the implants..." She said accusingly.

"Well of course, they are connected to you, I don't wanna fry you."

"Oh well thank you.... Now get out."

"But it is my bathroom" I said still letting her think she was easily pulling me away.

"Look we might work together but I don't trust you with this just yet."

"Awe, hurts my heart Kiwi." I leaned against the wall with a hand over my heart.

"You weren't shot, you should survive." She said with an amused edge to her voice before she locked the door.

"Who's being snarky now?" I asked but left her to her fun, I never understood the fun in netrunning, not after seeing those kids forced to dive into old nets.

"Always has been." I chuckled when I heard that, and keep being it Kiwi, I love it.

I left the backroom and grabbed a smart link that was hung on a hook off the ceiling and sat back on my arms.

I was a bit older then those kids, 'Saka didn't want only netrunners but since I never really showed incline to netrun I was pushed off to those side groups.

I was like an doc but a legal one, working on implants to be 'Saka's next generation of innovators.

I turned the dial eye to the biggest zoom, closing the other as I grabbed a really thin screwdriver.

"That's the worst choice they ever made." I chuckled.

Unrestricted access to any implants as long as I was up too par.

This is how I easily got my arms, just import a series of code in the machines and they'll act accordingly.

I guess that's when people started to say I was going crazy but it is their los--

"What do you want?" I held up one of my arms, the 'fingers' on it hovering right over the unknown man's throat, ready to rip it out.

"You a ripperdoc right?"

"Who's asking?"

"Doesn't matter, I have the money, I want this in me now." He held up a Memory Boost metal mesh in his bare hands.

Pour guy, that thing goes in on your brain, you don't manhandle and dirty it, it would infect your grey matter...

"Sure." I put the smart link aside with a wide grin. "Pay first and we'll get to it."

-------------------------------------

The net was not any less different even if I was wiped from it in its visuals but some things did change from before.

Tho there were a few small differences that would be major in the long run.

I just roamed the net but there were some firewalls and ICE programs that didn't react to my presence like they should. All I could think of as the reason for this was since I lacked a trace and they couldn't detect me, many codes be it Daemons or AIs even tracked IP addresses and I had none of my own, only the IP address of my equipment.... Unless X got an illegal version that was not registered and I am not putting it past her to have done that.

it was also easier to navigate, since certain IP's were locked out of areas but without one I wasn't stopped.

I logged out after a while and sat up, looking around and sighing, seeing the door was not forced open.

She can be nice, really nice, when it comes down to it.

I noticed I got a holo message from Rogue while I was under.

I opened it.

*Come down to Afterlife when you have time, I have a job.*

I got out of the bath, drying off, time to get back in the game.

I dressed up, she it too forwards when I am dressed so what might she do if I wasn't.

I exited and went in the workshop.

"X, there's a.... Job...." I blinked a little, crossing my arms. "What did I miss?" I asked, seeing her elbow deep in the guts of a man on her operating table.

"He croaked while I tried to instant this memory boost, had money to pay for it but not for the anesthetic so he got nada."

"And you are in his gut for...?"

"He had an Ex-Disk in him from my scans and I want it." She pulled it out, this little implant was of big utility to a netrunner, it helped keep lines of Daemons and quickhacks pre-loaded on it so they could work autonomously, the simpler ones that is, the more complex ones are always needed to be made on the fly.

"Well clean up, we are going out."

"We?"

"We are partners aren't we? I have a very well known fixer offer us a job."

"I am a ripperdoc."

"I doubt that." She just grinned.

"Even ripperdocs can be dangerous darling but sure, I'll come along, you need a crew most likely and who would I be to leave you hanging?"

"Just get ready." I shook my head.