Chapter 8

Another week went by. Once again, Esme and Carlisle were in their bedroom discussing Annabelle.

"Carlisle, we have to talk to Annabelle about going to school." Esme said.

"I know." Carlisle agreed. "We'll discuss it with her when she gets up."

"We should call Rebecca, too." Esme continued. "She has all of Annabelle's school records."

"We will." Carlisle said.

"Maybe we can see if she's able to go to school with us." Esme added.

"Maybe we can go this afternoon." "I can see if someone can cover for me for a little bit this afternoon." Carlisle said. They heard movement in Annabelle's room.

"Sounds like Annabelle's up." Esme said. "I better go start making her breakfast."

"I'll call Rebecca." Carlisle said. Esme headed downstairs while Carlisle went to his office.

A few minutes later, Annabelle came downstairs. When she was told that breakfast was ready, she went into the kitchen and sat down at the table.

"Good morning." She greeted Esme.

"Morning Annabelle." Esme greeted back.

While she ate, Carlisle came into the kitchen. "Good morning, Annabelle." He greeted. "How are you this morning?"

"I'm good." Annabelle answered.

"Annabelle, there's something we would like to discuss with you." Esme started.

"About what?" Annabelle asked.

"Remember when I told you that we would be talking to you about you starting school?" Carlisle asked.

"Oh." Annabelle said.

"Are you okay?" Esme asked.

"I hate going to new schools." Annabelle answered.

"We get that it's not easy going to new schools all the time." Carlisle said. "But, you have to go to school."

"I know." Annabelle said. "When will I start?"

"Well, we'll go to the school this afternoon and get you enrolled." Esme explained.

"Do I have to go?" Annabelle asked.

"You have to go to school, Annabelle." Carlisle said.

"I know." Annabelle said. "I mean do I have to go with guys today?"

"Oh. I suppose you don't have to." Esme said. "You might get to see Rebecca, though. We're going to see if she can join us at the school."

"Are we going now?" Annabelle asked.

"No. Probably this afternoon." Carlisle replied. Annabelle nodded. "I'll see you guys later." Carlisle said.

"Bye." Annabelle said.

"Have a good day at work." Esme said. Carlisle left for the hospital.

A couple nights later, Carlisle and Esme were both in Esme's art room. Just then, they heard noises coming from Annabelle's room. The two looked at each other. It was late and they thought Annabelle had gone to bed. They went to her room.

"Annabelle?" Carlisle said, knocking on the door before they walked in. They saw Annabelle with the tv on. "It's a little late to be watching tv." Carlisle said.

"I'm sorry." Annabelle said, muting the tv. "I couldn't sleep."

"We're guessing you're nervous for your first day at a new school." Esme asked as the two of them sat on either side of the bed. Annabelle nodded.

"We get that it can be scary going to a new school." Carlisle said. "But, it's going to be ok." Annabelle nodded, again.

"How about we get you a glass of water. We turn your night light on and you try falling asleep." Esme said. Annabelle nodded and Carlisle went to get her a glass of water.

"If you want, you can continue to watch tv for a little bit, but don't stay up too late." Esme said.

"Okay." Annabelle said. Carlisle came back with a glass of water and set it on the bedside table. "Thank you." Annabelle said.

"Try to get some sleep." Carlisle said. Annabelle nodded.

Carlisle and Esme walked out of the room, closing the door behind them.

The next morning, Annabelle woke up and got ready for school. When she finished, she headed downstairs.

"Good morning, Annabelle." Esme greeted as she set breakfast on the table.

"Good morning." Annabelle said, sitting at the table.

"How are you this morning?" Esme asked. "Ok." Annabelle answered.

"Ready for today?" Carlisle asked.

"I guess so." Annabelle replied.

"You'll be ok, Annabelle." Esme assured her.

"I know." Annabelle said.

"We should get going." Carlisle said. "I'll take you to school."

"Let me brush my teeth first." Annabelle said.

"That's fine." Carlisle said. "Just be quick about it, please."

Annabelle quickly went upstairs to brush her teeth, grab her backpack, and headed back downstairs.

"Ready to go?" Carlisle asked.

"Yeah." Annabelle said.

"Let's go, then." Carlisle said.

"Have a good first day, Annabelle." Esme said.

"Bye." Annabelle said. She followed Carlisle out the door and got in his car.

"You can get your schedule from the office." Carlisle explained, driving to the high school. "And you'll have a paraprofessional with you throughout the day."

"Okay." Annabelle replied.

"You ok?" Carlisle asked as he pulled up to the high school. Annabelle nodded.

"Do you want me to go in with you?" Carlisle asked. Annabelle shook her head.

"It'll be ok." Carlisle said. Annabelle nodded, again.

"Have a good day, Annabelle." Carlisle said.

"Thank you." Annabelle said as she got out of the car and headed inside. She went to the office to get her schedule and then try to find her locker.

After spending a few minutes of trying to finding it, she gave up and went on trying to find her first class. She ended up being late to her first class. She really didn't like all the eyes on her when she walked into the room.

"Sorry I'm late." Annabelle said, slightly embarrassed, as she handed the teacher the slip of paper. "I got lost."

"Welcome Miss Miller." The teacher said. "You may have a seat."

Annabelle took a seat. She noticed that she had sat next to an older woman who clearly wasn't a student.

"Hello Annabelle. I'm Laura, your paraprofessional." The woman introduced. "It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you, too." Annabelle politely said. Annabelle quietly listened to the lesson and took notes.