Chapter 2

Annabelle was in Rebecca's car as they drove down the street.

"You told me that if I behaved well during my appointment, you would get me something." Annabelle said.

"Yes. I did say that." Rebecca said. "How about we grab something to eat and we can get ice cream afterwards."

"Ok." Annabelle said. Rebecca drove towards Port Angeles.

A little bit later, the two were sitting at a booth, eating dinner. They were in a secluded area of the restaurant, so the noise wouldn't bother her. Annabelle had noise canceling headphones, in case she needed them. She was eating 2 mini hamburger sliders with an even number of fries. Annabelle liked even numbers.

"So." Rebecca started. "How do you feel about Dr. Cullen and his wife fostering you?"

"I'm ok with it." Annabelle said.

"You are?" Rebecca asked.

"I like Dr. Cullen." Annabelle said. "He's nice."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that." Rebecca said. "So, you want him and his wife to foster you?"

"Yes." Annabelle said.

"Ok." Rebecca said.

After they ate dinner, Rebecca got Annabelle some ice cream.

At the Cullens, Carlisle arrived home from the hospital. "I'm home." He called.

"Hi Carlisle." He heard throughout the house.

"Esme." Carlisle called.

"Art room." He heard her say.

Carlisle walked upstairs and went into the room. "Hello love." He greeted her as he embraced her and gave her a soft kiss on the lips.

"Hi." Esme said, smiling up at him.

"How was your day?" Carlisle asked. They sat on the couch that was in the room.

"It was good." Esme replied. "How was work?"

"Mine was good, as well." Carlisle said. "So, there's something I wanted to discuss with you."

"About what?" Esme asked.

"I had this patient today that's a foster kid and I was wondering if you wanted to foster her." Carlisle said.

"Tell me about them." Esme said.

"Her name's Annabelle." Carlisle said. "She's 14."

"Is she ok?" Esme asked.

"Oh yeah." Carlisle said. "Her social worker, Rebecca, just brought her in for a physical."

"Oh ok." Esme said. "She isn't in a current home?"

"Her social worker said she's in between homes right now." Carlisle explained. "Annabelle has autism and Rebecca said that Annabelle has spent more time living with her than in foster homes because no one wants to take care of a kid with special needs."

"How long has she been in the system?" Esme asked.

"Since she was four." Carlisle answered. "Rebecca said that her parents gave her up after they she was diagnosed with autism."

"What about the rest of the family?" Esme asked.

"They were fine with us becoming foster parents." Carlisle said.

"We're ok with you guys fostering Annabelle." They heard Edward say.

"Then, let's foster her." Esme said.

"I'll go call Rebecca and let her know." Carlisle said, standing up and heading to his office. He dialed Rebecca's number and waited for her to answer.

"Hello?" Rebecca said on the other line.

"Hello. This is Dr. Cullen." Carlisle said.

"Oh. Hi." Rebecca said.

"I wanted to call and let you know that my wife and I would like to foster Annabelle." Carlisle said. "As long as she wants us to, of course."

"She does." Rebecca said. "Which kind of surprised me."

"Why did it surprise you?" Carlisle asked.

"She doesn't like meeting new people and typically I have to convince her into going to a new foster home." Rebecca explained. "But, she didn't hesitate when I asked her if she wanted to be fostered by you and your wife. She said that she liked you and thought you were nice."

"Well, I guess I did something right, then." Carlisle said.

"I can come over with her tomorrow afternoon, if that's ok." Rebecca said.

"Sounds good." Carlisle said.

"I don't know how many people are in your family." Rebecca said. "But, it would be better if it's just you and your wife when we get there tomorrow, so she doesn't get overwhelmed. She's not a huge fan of meeting new people."

"Alright." Carlisle said.

"We'll see you tomorrow then." Rebecca said.

"See you then." Carlisle said. He gave her their address before hanging up. He went back to Esme's art room.

"So?" Esme asked.

"Rebecca's bringing Annabelle over tomorrow afternoon." Carlisle explained. "And she said it would be best if it's just the two of us and the rest of the family isn't around."

"We'll all go hunting tomorrow while she's here." The heard Alice say.

"Thank you, Alice." Carlisle said.