Chapter 1

Annabelle was in an exam room with her social worker, Rebecca. She was reading a book, not paying attention to anything. She didn't even notice when someone came into the room.

"Hello." Carlisle greeted. "I'm Dr. Cullen."

"Hi." Rebecca said.

"What brings you guys in?" Carlisle asked.

"Annabelle here just needs a physical." Rebecca replied.

"Alright." Carlisle said.

"Could I speak to you outside for a moment?" Rebecca asked.

"Uh. Sure." Carlisle said. The two of walked outside. "What is it?" Carlisle asked.

"Annabelle has autism." Rebecca explained. "And she doesn't really do well with doctors or with strangers touching her in general."

"Is she non-verbal?" Carlisle asked.

"No. She does speak." Rebecca answered. "She's also a foster kid. I'm her social worker, Rebecca."

"Where's her foster parents?" Carlisle asked.

"She's in between foster homes right now." Rebecca replied.

"Oh ok." Carlisle said.

"She should be fine if you explain things to her." Rebecca said.

"Good to know." Carlisle said.

"Do you mind if I just talk with her for a moment?" Rebecca asked.

"Yeah. Of course." Carlisle said.

Rebecca nodded before going into the room. Annabelle was still reading. "Annabelle." Rebecca said. "Could I have your book while the doctor examines you?"

"I don't like this." Annabelle said.

"It won't take long. You'll be fine." Rebecca said. "Do you want one of your fidget devices?" Annabelle nodded. "Which one do you want?" Rebecca asked.

"The cube." Annabelle answered.

Annabelle had a few fidget devices her social worker had gotten her over the years. She had a white cube with pink buttons on each side of the cube. A rainbow square and pink butterfly poppers. And a pink and blue sparkled spinner. She liked using different kinds and uses them when she's upset, frustrated, or nervous to help her calm down. Like now, when she knew she had to deal with this.

Rebecca handed her the cube. "I'm going to send the doctor in now." She said.

Annabelle nodded. Rebecca walked out and

Carlisle walked in. "Hello Annabelle." Carlisle greeted. "I'm Dr. Cullen, but you are welcome to call me Carlisle, if you'd like."

"Hello." Annabelle politely greeted.

"If you want me to stop at any point, just let me know and I'll stop immediately." Carlisle said. "Alright?"

"Alright." Annabelle said.

Carlisle put gloves on, so his cold touch didn't bother her. "Can you come stand over here?" He asked. "I'm just going to get your height and weight." Annabelle went over to where he was. "Are you reading a good book?" Carlisle asked.

"I think it is, but other people might think differently." Annabelle replied.

"What are you reading?" Carlisle asked.

"It's a book with a bunch of facts, not an actual book." Annabelle answered. "I like knowing things."

"There's nothing wrong with that." Carlisle said.