𝟏𝟑 | 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 chaos

"I felt so much that I started to feel nothing" —unknown

AVELINA COULD HEAR the sound of a gunshot ringing through the air. The commotion startled her, waking her up from a nap that resulted from the exhaustion after her argument with Adrik. She tried her best to stand up after failing a time or two before getting up on her feet and waddling toward the door.

Taking a deep breath, she slowly pulled the door open and immediately the sound of Lucia's voice grasped her attention.

"Avelina, get back inside of the room!" she shouted.

Avelina wanted nothing more than to ignore the son of a bitch, but the only thing that pushed her back into that room where she shut and locked the door was the firing of another gunshot. Her breathing grew heavy as she leaned against the door, hating herself for wondering where Adrik was and if he was okay.

She could hear Russian being spoken, probably from Adrik's men and guards. She hurried and locked the door before hurrying off toward the bathroom where she closed herself inside of it. The room was dark and the only sound she could make off was her every uneven inhale and exhale.

The sound of her bedroom door falling to the ground caused her to flinch and place her hand over her mouth to muffle any noise from the tears now falling from her face. She tried to look around for a place to hide, but it was too late. Her bathroom door barged open despite the lock that she made sure would protect her by keeping her far away from the intruders.

Just as the door opened, her eyes that were so glassy with tears, had widened. From the light of the bedroom, she could make out her older brother, Vincent.

He went over to flip on a light switch and his eyes immediately fell to her swollen stomach.

"So it's true?" Vincent asked. "You're fucking pregnant?"

"What—what—" Avelina stammered.

He grabbed ahold of her arm and dragged her out of the bathroom.

"Where the fuck is Zolotov? I promise you that I will kill that bitch!" Vincent exclaimed.

Avelina hated the thought of her brother harming Adrik in any way. The physical heartbreak in her chest drummed a sad tune and a deep frown settled on her face.

"If you kill him, you'll just have to kill me, too," she muttered, knowing that those were the last words she should ever say.

He deserved pain just like he put her through. She shouldn't want to put herself in harm's way just to protect a man who wouldn't do the same for her.

She was ready to ruin her relationship with her brother forever, knowing that if it came down to Avelina or Natasha—he'd pick Natasha with little to no hesitation.

She was as stupid as stupid got.

"What the hell did you just say?" he asked. Avelina could hear more gunshots ring through the air and it startled her. She turned toward the broken-down door before returning her attention to her brother.

"He's the father of my unborn child. Whether you like it or not, I need him," she said. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

He scoffed. "So, that's your plan, huh? Live in here with him and Natasha and play house like he didn't ruin our lives! I won't let you do that," he declared.

Avelina's brows pulled together as she processed his words.

"Natasha isn't here," she said.

He laughed. He actually laughed.