𝟎𝟕 | 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 loneliness

"Loneliness is not lack of company, loneliness is lack of purpose." — Guillermo Maldonado

Avelina ate with Miss Paola, trying her best to stay calm, but she failed miserably

Avelina ate with Miss Paola, trying her best to stay calm, but she failed miserably. Her mind kept racing back to Lucia. What could she have possibly meant? It was almost as if Lucia knew exactly who Avelina was seeing as guilt crept on every inch of her face.

"I tried contacting that owner of HomeCare again, and I haven't received a single word. The nerve of that man!" Miss Paola rolled her eyes, leaning back in her chair. The fork she had in her hand slipped out of her grasp and slammed down on the glass bowl. The sound was enough to make Avelina cringe.

"Maybe it's a good thing. I've been dealing with enough things, and the last thing I want is to have my license revoked." Avelina sighed. She stood up from the table with her empty bowl in her hand as sent a small smile to Miss Paola. "I'm going to head off to bed. Thank you for dinner, Miss Paola, it was lovely."

Without another word, she walked into the kitchen and placed her bowl into the sink before rinsing it off.

Once she finished, her hand lingered on the faucet handle. Memories of Adrik swarmed her mind. The number of times she cooked him food or cleaned up the kitchen was breaking into her mind.

As she thought of Adrik, she couldn't help but recall the conversation she had with Lucia. She said, when I heard about Adrik finally finding a woman who loved him despite his autism, I just had to see who it was.

Could it be possible that Lucia knew Adrik, or maybe even Vincent?

Avelina shook her head, walking back into the dining room to see that Miss Paola was already almost finished with her food.

She instinctively rubbed her baby bump, feeling a soft kick tap her side. It always amazed her when she felt her baby kick. It reminded her that there was a being growing inside of her, and one day, she would be their mother. Not only was it a lot of pressure, but it was also a warmth that would spread in her heart.

"What's wrong? Is it about that Luigi girl or whatever her name is? I saw her run out of here like Maury just told her..." Miss Paola deepened her voice and said, "he is not the father."

Avelina chuckled, shaking her head back and forth. She debated if she should tell Miss Paola what the actual interaction was between them. The last thing she wanted was to hear 'I told you so' once again. Just like Miss Paola predicted, Lucia behaved a little too distrustfully.

"Miss Paola," she began, contemplating if she should just tell her what truly happened. At first, she covered it up with a lie, saying that Lucia had somewhere to be. As if her shame overpowered their safety, Avelina lied to the woman who had been taking care of her and her unborn child when she couldn't do it herself.

Miss Paola raised a brow in anticipation.

Avelina sighed, settling at dropping the subject. "Goodnight. I promise by next week, I'll go home and be out of your hair. I just can't handle being alone."

Miss Paola watched Avelina skeptically. It seemed like something was dancing her tongue, ready to jump off, but she held it back with the sealing of her lips. The corners of her light brown lips rose to a small smile as she nodded her head. "You can stay for as long as you'd like. I enjoy your company. You're like a daughter to me, you know?"

Her eyes began to get glassy as she cleared her throat and stood up from the table. Avelina knew Miss Paola always stayed far away from being sentimental, but there were tears ready to spill from her eyes.

Avelina swallowed her guilt as she watched Miss Paola walk with her bowl in her hands over to the kitchen.

"I'm going to head out and check up on my daughter, Cheyanne. She finally agreed to talk to me after all this time. I already contacted my driver and he's outside," Miss Paola spoke from inside the kitchen.

Avelina's brows pulled together as she walked into the kitchen where Miss Paola was washing some dirty dishes.

The sun was already beginning to set and worry quickly trickled in. Avelina knew how hard Miss Paola had been trying to get in contact with her only child, but she didn't like that it was getting late, but if tonight was her only chance to see Cheyanne, Avelina wasn't going to get in the way.

"Make sure to text me the entire time you're away. If I don't get a response in at least ten-minute intervals, I am calling the police," Avelina said. Miss Paola began to laugh, but when she glanced over and took in Avelina's serious exterior, she settled for a smile.

"Fine. You have my word," Miss Paola mumbled. "I will text you once I'm with the driver. Goodnight, Avelina. Tomorrow, we will be doing some of the stretches your doctor insisted you do."

"Be safe," Avelina said, watching her begin to walk to the door. Her shoulder fell once she saw Miss Paola's hand on the doorknob.

"Ten-minute intervals!" Avelina reminded her as she pulled the door open.

"Goodnight!" Miss Paola exclaimed, closing the door shut.

"Goodnight," Avelina whispered to absolutely no one.

She stood there in the vacant apartment with her arms folded across her chest. Loneliness crept into her mind and damaged her heart. She always felt the need to be in the company of others to keep Adrik from seeping into her mind.

There was a sudden craving to run to her room and google the supermodel that was on Adrik's arm. It took a lot of willpower to stay put. Knowing how beautiful she was would only do more harm than good.

To get the woman out of her thoughts, the baby kicked again. A smile spread across her face as she placed her hand on her baby bump.

"That's right. I'm not alone because I have you, don't I?" Avelina asked, giggling as the baby kicked again.

"I can't wait to see you. You're going to be so strong, so kind. I love you and I haven't even met you yet." Avelina smiled. Holding her bump, she walked into her bedroom before shutting the door behind her.

She reached over to turn on the light switch only to let out a loud shriek. Her eyes widened as she took in the person in front of her. Words couldn't explain the increase in her heartbeat as she eyed the man sitting on the edge of her bed as if he belonged there.

His eyes dropped to her swollen belly, taking in her figure.

"Adrik."

"Avelina."

-
Instagram: amarieauthor
Twitter: amarieauthor
Tiktok: amarieauthor
Facebook: authoramarie
Website: amarieauthor.org

I know. This update took a while. I have been battling writer's block. It was difficult to get any words out, but with the help of my friend's in my discord server, I was able to get rid of my writer's block. Thank you guys!

Question: do we forgive adrik?

Thank you for reading! Love you all! See you next update!
— A. Marie

Please vote.