Surprise!

We were in the United States for some sort of conference for Daniel's soccer, but I forgot what it was. I was too embarrassed to ask him again.

It was July 12, 2035. I was 30 and Daniel was too. Samuel was only a year old, but Daniel was too attractive to resist. When on a vacation with just the two of us in Barcelona, we fucked in the back of a shed because I couldn't resist how attractive he looked. Long story short, I ended up missing my period, and alas, I was pregnant. 

Ánder turned 4 last month, and sweet Marína, our only girl so far, was 2 years and 8 months, while Samuel was just a year old. 

Three was a lot to handle, and 4 would without a doubt be harder. But, I knew what I wanted, and I wanted Daniel's kids.

I was breastfeeding Samuel during the conference, while Ánder and Marína were were playing together as they watched their dad talk.

I was 36 weeks and 3 days along, and we'd be flying back in just four days. The plan was to have another homebirth at the ranch, and I sort of wanted to do it in the barn, solely due to the common joke of "were you raised in a barn" and my kid could say they were born there. That, and Daniel claimed he had a recurring dream where I gave birth in a barn, first standing up, then laying down and having a baby girl.

But if labor was to start in the United States, I'd have the baby at a hospital here to get all of the records right. Also, I thought it was a boy and not a girl. For a girl we decided Yara, and for a boy, we still weren't decided, so we'd substituted Jairo and called it good.

The conference ended soon after, and Samuel was asleep in my arms, while Marína and Ánder were still playing. But when they saw Daniel, they got on their best behavior and started to play with him.

We were going to his sister Addie's house for the kids to see their cousins, and so that we could celebrate being in the country for a short time period. As we got in the rented car, I fastened the seatbelts of the carseats and Daniel began to drive, one hand on the wheel, the other on my knee.

"Addie said there's some White food for you there if you want some," Daniel joked over the noise of Ánder's obnoxious tablet he shared with his sister.

"How generous," I added before closing my eyes.

I was already tired as it was, but being pregnant made it a little bit worse, and I fell asleep within two minutes.

---

I helped Ánder get his plate of chili con carne before Daniel stepped in and did it for me, and allowed me to sit down with full relaxation. I was sore as hell constantly, and my knees were constantly in pain.

"How's brother?" Ánder asked as he sat next to me in a chair that was clearly too tall for him. Every time I was pregnant, he would be interested in it. Everyday, usually multiple times, he'd ask how his sibling was. And he, like me, thought he'd be getting a brother."

"Brother is making mommy's legs hurt," I said. "He's very big and can barely fit in my tummy much longer."

"Is brother sharing a room con Samuel?"

"No, he's gonna be sleeping with me and Papi for the first couple of months, then he'll have his own room."

"Will he get a big boy bed?"

"No, he'll have a crib," I said. "He'll be too little for a big boy bed."

"When does he get a big boy bed?"

"By the time he's three or four," I said. "It just depends."

I noticed Ánder's face was already messy, and I cleaned it up with a napkin, before I felt a spiraling pain in my abdomen.