Some Freak Storm

The days rolled by far less eventful, though I found myself constantly looking over my shoulder. I spent lunch with Gemma, stayed out of the Black's way, but mostly hung around Duke. There was something calming in the way he spoke, soothing in the way he never pried or criticized. Only ever listened.

It was easy then, nearly a month after being in La Push, to say yes to his grandparents invitation to dinner. I waited for him to bring his truck around, stumbling into Ward.

"Hey." He said, dipping his hands in his pockets. "Waiting for my mom?"

"Duke, actually." I scanned the parking lot a line of cars blocking anyone from pulling out.

"You really think that's a good idea?" His eyes narrowed.

"Your parents seem to think so." I crossed my arms, leaning against a pole for the metal awning. "Mae seemed thrilled when I called to ask."

"You don't even have a phone." I dipped in my pocket, pulling out the thin rectangle in its clear case.

"Duke bought it for me last week. Said I needed one in case of emergencies." He shook his head, mumbling to himself.

"Of course he did." I spied Duke's truck several cars behind.

"Is there a problem, Ward?" A gust of wind whipped between us, and he nearly flinched back.

Ward shook his head, his dark hair falling into his eyes. "Forget it."

He stomped off as Duke pulled forward, and I scrambled to get into the passenger side.

"You all good?" I nodded, watching Ward dart off down the field and toward the woods. Duke seemed to sense this, brushing my hair back as he gave my shoulder a light squeeze. "You're tense. Want to talk about it?"

"No." Ward disappeared, a shiver curling down my spine.

***

It'd been a month since Rory came to live with us. I'd determined to stay away from her after the night Vanessa ran off, after I'd smelled her blood.

Every night since I'd dreamt of her sprawled out on the bed, uncovered as her legs spread from one end to the other. It took everything within me to walk away, to let her sleep, to ignore the pulsing thrum along the base of her throat.

And yet, the phone, dinner with the Uley's, her ease of being with Duke- I hated it.

I hated him.

Shifting into my other form, I tore into the woods, attempting to leave the thirst, the pain, amongst the mud and branches.

In spite of spending time with Duke, nothing had changed. She still struggled to sleep at night, crashing at school. She still threw up every now and then, or dodged my parents offerings to join us for meals.

One excuse after the other, Rory seemed to prefer hiding away in the cottage. Perhaps a peace offering was in order, something to give us a clean slate. If my grandfather could overcome his thirst, perhaps I could too.

I knocked on her door the next night, hoping she'd be open.

"How was dinner last night?" She blinked at me through a sliver. "You gonna let me in or what, Blondie?"

"Oh, uh." She opened the door completely to the guest house, and I swiped my boots on the mat. "Dinner went well."

A basket of half-eaten muffins sat on the table. So they'd gotten her to eat.

"So are you and Duke like a,"

"There something you need? " I leaned against the island. "I've just got a lot of studying to do."