Fresh Meat

I never thought of myself as cursed. Different, sure. Maybe even special. But being in a family of walking miracles, it was kind of difficult to dwell in the negative.

I wrote my name in a scratched flurry at the top of the paper, wondering if my parents had any idea of the power it would have over me. It was a lot to live up to for an eighteen year old, uncertain I could be up for the task.

Harry sat on the other side of the room, going to town on his eraser. He'd practically chewed it to a nub, the gnawing noises grating on my nerves.

Of course, it wasn't the placement test that had him wrecked. His eyes kept drifting back and forth between the exam and the oblivious girl two rows ahead.

My phone buzzed, and I discreetly pulled it from my pocket.

Fresh meat in the office.

A few lights blinked under the desks around me, the teacher keeping a close watch on us. She confiscated one, and I hid mine in a flurry.

Filling in the bubbles, I imagined yet another pale face coming in from town. No doubt some kid who'd already been kicked out, looking to be top dog.

As if I didn't have bigger problems to deal with, like my friend being in the midst of a nervous breakdown.

And there was her to consider.

The bell rang not long after I finished, and Harry darted out.

Unable to catch him in the hall, I headed for my locker. The murmurs had begun, my ears twitching.

Twisting the lock, two arms wrapped around my middle.

"Why do we have like, zero classes together?" I slid out of her grasp, struggling to find a smile.

"Yeah," She started pouting, and I felt a headache coming on. "It sucks."

"Talk to me, Ward. I miss you."

I stiffened, supposing now was as good a time as any.

"Listen,"

But she was looking the other way, following the rest of the crowd.

A wave a white hair swished down the hall, the small figure taking a sharp turn left. Voices turned to an indiscreet hush.

A new girl.

I hadn't caught her face, only a thin frame like a whisper. Rumors danced across the tips of tongues, meeting ears in a murmur.

A few of the guys nodded as they passed me, and it was almost as if I could read their minds.

She wouldn't be just some new girl. Not here.

Here she was an opportunity.

Hope.

Another one-sided embrace, I pulled her off before heading to the next class.

Tomorrow, I determined.

I caught the tail end of a conversation, passing by a cluster of freshmen.

"She looks sick or something."

I wondered that myself as I found her at the seat beside mine.

She sat tucked away in the back, a curtain of thick tendrils spilling over the desk. She rested her head against wispy arms, skin so pale it was practically translucent.

I settled in beside her, unsure how I could keep from staring. It didn't set me a part, however.

Everyone was watching.