the gift of loving (one-shot)

Done up, head to toe, ready to go ten minutes ago, yet unsurprisingly waiting for my boyfriend to make his appearance from the bathroom. Two years have gone by, nothing has changed. Beau takes as long as ever to get ready to see my parents as if this were the first time meeting them all over again. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love that he holds my family in such high regard, but I don't even second-guess the messy bun I put my hair in to go to a casual family gathering. Everyone will be too jetlagged to notice my appearance anyway.

Had Beau gotten out of bed when I told him to, we would have been out the door by now. He gets sidetracked so often that it takes him almost as long as I do to get himself ready. That short attention span of his combined with his attentiveness to looking all put together is only a no-good recipe for being late to every single gathering.

In my biased opinion, he looks perfect regardless of how much effort he puts into getting ready. But that's just me. He cares way more about what my parents think of him than he ever did me. If he tells me otherwise, I'd proceed to tell him he's full of shit.

All jokes aside, I truly do love spending the holidays with him. Our first Christmas together may not have been under the best circumstances, but I'd like to think every Christmas that followed has made up for it. It's only our fourth holiday season together and I can foresee so many more.

With a family of our own one day I hope.

Like usual, we're heading over to my parents' to celebrate Christmas. Last year we stayed at a nice hotel in the city so that my sister could stay with them for the weeks that her studies weren't in session. However, it was our turn to stay with them this year. I found it odd how easy it was to convince my sister to stay at a hotel while me and Beau visited my parents. Last Christmas she was set on staying with them so she wouldn't have to take on actual adult responsibilities. Now she was more than willing to let me have my old room back.

Knowing how rigid my mom can be about having gatherings, I might have an idea or two. I don't think it'll be that bad though. She'll have my dad, me, and Beau to help her out with whatever she needs. Four pairs of able hands should do the trick. Plus, after Beau and I moved away for college, I hardly ever get to see my mom. It's our weekend video calls that remind her that she still has a daughter and she can still be nosey of her whereabouts.

I'm already nineteen, living with my boyfriend, with a limited amount of time to study, let alone socialize, and she still worries that all this time away from her is spent partying. If only she knew the workload I had for solely one class alone. She'd wonder if I ever left the apartment.

Beau and I flew in late last night. I didn't want to disturb the peace my parents found in their home after I moved out and we were extremely jetlagged to even think about greeting my parents at one o'clock in the morning so we thought it best to stay at a hotel for a night. That way we could freshen ourselves up and look somewhat presentable when we meet our families.

Any day now...

Out of boredom, I go rummaging around the room for any sign of the Christmas gift Beau has been dangling in front of my face like a tempting treat for weeks now. When he first mentioned it to me with a smug grin on his face, I made the mistake of delivering a snarky comment about him buying the gift weeks in advance and still not managing to get a paper in the night before it's due. Since then he has not shut up about his glorious gift.

Not that I wanted him to, I just wish that he'd tone it down for my sanity's sake. Now he's got me looking all around the room and the corners of his suitcase to find the item. I'm the one that packed it, I know when something's out of place.

I just know he gave it to Sophie. Either that or he hid it really fucking good. We met Sophie at the airport and took the same car back so she was only a few rooms down from us. Maybe she'd let me, her bestest friend of four years now, poke around a bit.