someone's nervous

Soft puckered lips dot all over my cheeks, waking me from a dreamless slumber. The sun is right in my face, casting down on me, its rays a golden glow. My arms feel too heavy to move, as do my legs. My senses take a while to come back to me after a good night's. First it's the sound of distant morning waves and quiet laughter. That's followed by the feeling of my body wrapped cozily in a blanket and playful kisses dancing across my cheeks. The sweet taste of milkshakes and slushies reminisce quite nicely on my tongue. Familiar hints of peppermint and smoke absorb into my nostrils. And then I opened my eyes, watery and sensitive from sleep.

Those lips move along the length of my jaw, starting at my jaw and following with a trail of kisses all the way up to my ear. Beau delicately brushes his lips against the back of my ear, greeting me in a sweet sing-song voice, "Good morning," really putting emphasis on the mooorning.

With the sun high in the sky shining right down upon my tired eyes, I roll over on my side with an irritated groan to try to get the sun out of my face. These past 2 times me and Beau have woken up beside each other, he hasn't taken it upon himself to try to disturb my peace. He'll soon figure out that waking me up is like poking a sleeping dragon, one should never do it. There's many things I can pretend to do, being a morning person sure as hell isn't one of them. It's nothing personal when I act like a raging bitch in the morning; I simply just despise being rudely awakened so much that it has basically become a personality trait of mine. I've been like this my whole life, since the very day I was born. My mom checked into the hospital at midnight to get my lazy ass out of there and I refused to make an appearance before 10 am. Even as a fetus I took my sleep very seriously.

How ironic that I make friends with a pair of siblings who apparently love early mornings. I always have to remind myself not to kill Sophie when she wakes me up before 9 and now it seems her brother is the same way. They were probably the kids at sleepovers that always kept everyone up until 6 am and then crashed when sleep had basically become pointless to the rest of us who had to go home at 8 am the next morning.

"Baby come on, you have to wake up," he whines. With him peppering kisses all over my face, it gives me a dull fluttery feeling that would surely be 10 times more intense if I wasn't half-awake.

"Don't 'baby' me." My hand pushes his face away just enough to get the blanket over my head to serve as a temporary barrier between his head and mine.

Just to spite my previous demand, Beau slips his head under the blanket and coos, "I got us breakfast, baby. You've got to wake up, I'm getting lonely." I open my eyes just a tad to spot the mocking pout written on his lips. The fact that he's taking amusement out of annoying me ticks me off a bit but it's not at all surprising given our past.

Have I mentioned how short my circuit is when it comes to being rudely woken up by assholes who can't respect sleep? "Does it look like I give a fuck to you?" The rhetorical question is only posed because of my natural sarcastic way of being around him and because I know he won't take offense by it. That's another thing I like about our complicated dynamic. We got into so many fights over the course of 2 months that we know what it sounds like when there's actual venom in our condescending words. There's no miscommunication when we're being assholes to each other just to be assholes. We have a similar sense of humor I have yet to tap into with any other romantic partner I've had.

Not that Beau's a romantic partner. I'm not trying to jump to conclusions here. We're just trying to feel each other out right now, it's not anything serious. Obviously.

Obviously.

As I anticipated, he laughs at my attitude, not taking it to heart. "Is this what I'll get every morning?"