boiling over

After I finish lingering around backstage, making sure all the props our group needs for the small portion of the play we're putting on for our final, I practically run to psych. As said before, it's my longest walk considering it's almost all the way across campus and the biggest mistake I could have made today was organizing until the very last minute. 2 minutes is not much when you still have to run to your locker and swerve through different people who are walking way too slow for comfort.

The clouds from earlier have cleared up mostly, making it seem a little less depressing outside. Spotty rays of sunlight peak through the clouds and shine down on the green lawn. The energy is significantly happier when I step outside the polished glass doors.

My locker isn't too far. It's probably about the halfway point between the theater and the East building. The hassle lies within putting in my locker combination. If you miss the slightest mark, you have to go back and redo the whole thing. It's even more stressful when it feels like hundreds of pairs of eyes are on you, ridiculing you for not being able to put something as simple as a locker combo in.

It feels like people are watching your every move with a scrutinizing eye. No, it's not actually happening but my anxiety has convinced me otherwise.

I slip my algebra and geology textbooks into their designated places and take a deep breath into the comfort of my locker. There are a lot of people passing by and that alone gets me overwhelmed. On top of that I feel like I'm being rushed to my next class. God how I wish my sister or Sophie were right here. At least I'd have them to calm me down from this drowning feeling of stress for no given reason.

After a few breaths, I shut my locker and unexpectedly came face to face with Beau. Startled, I yelp and stagger back. Only upon realizing it's the pest itself, I huff in annoyance. Today is not the day.

"Fuck, you're jumpy," Beau comments. Okay, what did he expect out of me when he was literally just standing silently beside my locker like a creep?

"What are you doing?" I ask, trying my best to mask my racing heart. From being startled, of course.

He rolls his eyes and snakes his arm around my waist. He begins leading me the opposite way from our class. Confused, I try to back away, but his grip only grows stronger. I repeat my question in case he actually did go deaf or Beau's just blatantly ignoring me. Either one would be 100 percent believable.

The hallways slowly trickle down to almost bare as the late bell approaches sooner rather than later. I give it about 30 seconds before that annoying shit begins screaming at the rest of us to get to class. Seeing as Beau won't give me an explanation as to why he's making us later than we would be, I have no choice but to scamper along beside him, trying my hardest to keep up with his long strides. Why must this guy be such a long-legged giant?

We turn a corner and I still have yet to figure out where the hell we're going. As I predicted, the late bell goes off and with my luck, we're passing right under the speaker, making it more ear piercingly thunderous as ever. "Beau, we're late to class," I say in case he didn't already notice.

"No shit, really?" he scoffs.

"What the hell are we doing? Can you answer that?" I spit out. He's just dragging me along with no regard as to my curiosity. 

He huffs and lets out an exasperated breath. "Why do you have to ask so many goddamn questions?"

"Why don't you answer them?" I fire back.

"Baby. Do you really need me to spell it out for you? We're not going to fucking class."

"Well why not?"