there are worse things

A short, stocky man opens the door for us, letting the sharp chill of winter air whisk into the stuffy, vodka-reeking limo. Outside, blinding flashes of cameras light up the dark starry night. The voices are booming, paparazzi shouting questions to whoever passes, ordering them to look this way and that way. It feels like a movie. Never would I have pictured myself being photographed to the public's eye. Then again, I also attend school with the kids of CEOs, lawyers, models, doctors, actors, the most. So I can't be too shocked at the press wanting to catch a glimpse of an A-list offspring at what's supposed to be a regular school dance. Nothing's ever normal in L.A..

Beau steps out of the car first before extending a hand to me. Reluctantly, I grab it. It doesn't surprise me that in between the chaos of the tabloids and the velvet ropes there's a sumptuous cherry red carpet leading up to the venue. If anything it only proves how trapped we are in our world. Even if my parents aren't top models or the next upcoming actors, I still surround myself with these people. Beau being the very definition of it with his conceit and selfishness. To everyone from the outside looking in, I'm the agreeable arm piece he's chosen for the time being. Making a fool of me. 

Maybe I should've finished off my last cup to silence my thoughts and anxieties. 

I use the hand that's not in Beau's to hold up the front of my dress to be able to keep up with his long strides. Men and women bark questions at us from all sides, mainly about us showing up together. My mind is racing. I look up at Beau and he's just as annoyed by the commotion. Aside from his clenched jaw and piercing gaze aimed at the doors ahead of us, the rest of him is soothing for some odd reason. There's something comforting about the way his hand squeezes mine. 

He notices my discomfort almost instantly. He pulls me closer and leans down to speak in a hushed tone, "Breathe. They can sense the fear on you like fucking bloodhounds."

I chuckle a bit at the remark and take his advice. A long breath dives into my lungs and releases back into the air in a small white cloud. It's hard to make out anyone's faces with the camera flashes temporarily blinding me, so I keep my head down and shock myself at the fact that with every step Beau takes I'm forced to take 2. I knew this guy was tall, but I didn't think he'd have the footsteps of Bigfoot himself. All this time people have been searching for this creature and I think I might have found him. It'd explain the stupidity. And the temper. Come to think of it I should be turning him in for a whopping cash prize. 

"We'd go a little faster if you walked less like a sloth," he grumbles. His steps are large enough as it is and he wants to go faster

I shoot a glare at him in anguish. "Excuse me if I want to avoid rolling an ankle and eating shit in front of everyone," I say with a mock-smile plastered on my face. With all the cameras around I wouldn't want any prying eyes to think what we're doing is an act. It is, but it's only for us to know. I look down and roll my eyes, huffing. "Bigfoot," I seethe quietly, but he still hears me. 

He looks down at me with an amused smile. "'Bigfoot'?" he repeats in a deriding tone. I nod in finality and sigh as we near the steps to the venue doors. 

A cheeky grin curves onto his lips, one that couldn't possibly mean any good. "You know what they say about big feet?" I snap my head to face him with a 'really?' look in time to see his tongue run across his bottom lip, drawing my attention to the subtle yet far from innocent act. 

"Shut up, quit being nasty," I scold, consequently encouraging him instead. 

Before he can slide in another dirty joke, the echoing music cuts him off. Lining the walls are silk covered tables with ornate glass vases filled with pure white roses in the center of each. The lights are a dim blue with shadows of snowflakes casting down everywhere. The music is soft and slow, the dance floor covered in couples and friends alike holding each other in embrace. I stare in awe at the dreamy vibe.