Collection

It is easy to sneak into Caitlyn's house. Even easier to sneak up on her. I slip in through the window. Water runs in the bathroom. I slip in the door and stand beside the shower door.

It feels like ages before she finally steps out. She grabs a towel and wraps it around herself before looking in the mirror. She stares at herself for a long moment before she sees me. She gasps and whirls around. I step closer to her.

"Get dressed," I order her.

She obeys and I follow her and watch her do it. She doesn't have any weapons on her and she doesn't try to take one. Once she is dressed I simply hit the knockout button, her temple.

Silco POV

Topsides clean air slips through my lungs with ease. The boy counselor stands with his back to me as he gazed upon the horizon. I take slow, calculated steps toward him. He finally turn his head towards me.

"Perfect place for an ambush," I state. "And you without your hammer."

"I was reminded recently of what brought us together in the first place." He responds. "The threats beyond our walls."

"This city has a short memory."

"Progress."

"Far be it for me to stand in the way."

I raise my hand and reach inside my coat. The boy watches me carefully. I pull out a letter. He flips open the letter and looks appalled.

"Free trade routs, blanket amnesty, unrestricted access to the Hexgates, sovereignty." He lets his hands fall. " you really think you're in a position to demand all of this?"

"I give you credit for your stunt, boy. Didn't think you had the stomach. But the big display followed by a request for parley, you're tipping your hand."

The boy looks down and sighs.

"You're afraid."

"I am afraid. Today I got a glimpse of what a war between us might look like. Your people wouldn't stand a chance. The council couldn't care less. I'm trying to save you from annihilation."

"Well, well. Not the freshest face academy pledge. You want peace, this is the price." I gesture to the paper.

"You'll discontinue the production of shimmer."

"Halfway there already."

"Return the gemstone." I nod. "And I need Emris. She has to pay for what she's done."

"They weren't her crimes. She was working for me."

"Believe me, if I had it my way, it'd be you rotting in Stillwater. But we can't make a deal with a snake and cut off its head. We both have our shitty roles to play."

He steps closer to me and hands my letter back to me.

"Get me Emris and I'll give you your nation of Zaun."

꧁꧂

Emris POV

His footsteps echo across the stone. He finds what he's looking for quickly. A fountain with a statue of Vander at the center. His breaths are short and uneven now. He sits on the edge of the fountain. I make sure to make no sound as I slip to the other side of the fountain. I stand with my back to Silco and Vander's statue.

"A thousand times I've imagined this moment."

Silco's voice is low and grave. Unlike the doctor, listening to his vocal cords is soothing. It panics me.

"Never like this. All we ever wanted. The boy didn't even haggle. And what do I lose but problems."

He refers to me. I heard the deal be made. I followed him there. A pang goes through my chest as I listen farther.

"Oh, it all makes sense now, brother."

Silco lifts his flask and pours alcohol into the fountain. He lifts the flask as if to toast. He takes a long swig.

"Is there anything so undoing as love?"

My eyes frantically look around me as the voices in my head scream. They tell me he lies and he hates me. They all doubt me and tear me down to the very frame I was crafted, and rebuild me into something different. Over and over again, they change me and fit me best to their comments. They tell me to grab him so I do.

I walk up behind him and bring the heel of my knife down on his temple. Target 2 acquired.

꧁꧂

Vander's bar is bustling with activity when I arrive. Yet only two people are inside. Vi and Sevika beat each other's asses. I sit on the rafters and watch the show. They land punches on one another. On and on they go back and forth until Vi finally slams Sevika into the record player.

Vi leans over a smashed table. She moves to collect one of her gloves when I drop soundlessly behind her.

"Bravo sis," I say before hitting her temple with the butt of my gun.

I find powder In the back of the room, it's easy, she didn't even hear me.