Shimmer

Silco POV

My eyes flutter open. The lights blind me. My body is weak from the drug the doctor put into my body. I spot him cleaning a knife at the sink. The knife has blood on it. Emris.

I force myself up and stumble towards the table. My legs shake with each step. I trip and brace my hands on the table to hold still. I find the table slick with blood, crimson and cold beneath my fingers. I find a scalpel on the table. The doctor turns and I throw my weight against him. I bring the scalpel to his throat.

My eyes spin as I press the blade gently beneath his chins.

"What have you done?" I demand.

"I saved her life." His eyes flick between me and the knife.

I glance behind me and take a deep breath. My bones vibrate with anger and desperation. My legs tremble as I walk to the door.

Where is Emris?

Jinx POV

The burning sensation has dulled to a light sting. I gasp for air as the doctor begins unstrapping me from the table. I scan my surroundings. I see the dust particles in the air. I hear the breath the doctor slowly inhales and exhales. I feel the blood beneath my fingers. I seek the metal of the table like electricity on my fingertips.

"What... what did you do to me?"

"I saved your life."

"Wha..." the doctor directs me to a figure slumped over a chair.

My eyes focus on him and he looks almost too real. The scars on his face are carefully molded lines. I can see each individual eyelash on his face. The hair on his head is slicked back. His lips look soft. I slowly sit up. I listen to his steady breaths. I can hear his heartbeat sync with mine. I time my breaths with his and close my eyes.

I hear the doctor shuffle uncomfortably. I hear the grate of his clothing against his skin. I grimace and hear him move closer. My eyes open and I search wildly. I see the glint of a knife. I stand and cross the room in seconds. Pain strikes me as I bring the knife to the doctor's throat.

"What did you do to me?" My voice hisses between my teeth.

"Shimmer. It enhances the senses and is specific to each person."

"What?"

"It made you fast, it enhances what is already inside."

I groan as I hear a bird's wings flap outside. My eyes flick over the rock behind the doctor. I see every particle of dirt in the wall.

"You see everything, do you not?"

"Yes, and hear it."

"And feel it and sense it. This is what shimmer does, my great creation."

I press the knife deeper into his throat. I beg for him to stop talking. I hear his vocal cords grind against one another to make the noise. I hear his dry cracked lips slap against one another as he speaks.

"Stop talking, don't fucking move."

His breaths shake. My heart burns as anger fills my chest. I grab him by the collar and pull him to the back room.

"Stay here."

"I can't let you just."

I flick my wrist and the knife grazes his skin before sticking itself in the stone behind him. He gulps and I gag as I hear it. I spin on my heel and walk out the door.

"Gah!" I scream as I enter the room again.

I flip my head towards Silco. I remember my dream and what I told him. The old Emris is dead. I take a deep breath and look down at my hands. I stare at my fingerprints. Every small detail has come into focus. I've never seen anything so mesmerizing.

Silco takes a deep breath. It is calming, simply listening. His heart thuds strongly and his breathing is even and mesmerizing. I let myself sink to the floor. I do it faster than I wanted. I lean my head back on the rocks and a single tear slips down my cheek. It is as though someone is gently dragging a needle down my cheek. It is so vivid it almost hurts.

I spring to my feet and quickly walkout. The speed is exhilarating. I wander the streets, testing what I can do. I quickly get the hang of the speed. I have to keep my muscles tense to walk slowly. When I relax my muscles, walking at sprinting speed feels normal. I am stronger, faster, dangerous. It panics me. The voices got louder, their screams more clear.

"You're alone."

"You're weak."

"No one cares."

"You'll never find love."

"They only want to use you."

"They don't care"

"They hate you."

"You're trash."

I back myself against a wall as my knees buckle. Their voices rattle inside my brain. I yell at them to go away. To leave me alone. I threaten them. Nothing works. I tread my hands in my hair and pull as the voices get louder and louder. Then another joins them, drowns them out.

"Find them."

"Find them"

"Find them."

"Find them"

"Find them."

"Find them"

"Find them."

"Find them"

"Find them."

"Find them"

The voice lowers to a whisper as I walk. Gold streaks trail me as I rush through the streets of Zaun. The voice is a constant whisper in my head, guiding me, telling me what to do. After a while I finally recognize it. It's Emris.