Savior

Silco POV

I stand at the brigade at the bridge. My eyes find Marcus's body. I scan the bridge. My heart pounds in my chest as I spot long black hair fanning over the bridge.

"Emris!"

I break out into a sprint over the bridge. I fall to my knees beside her limp body. Her face is covered in ash and soot. I cradle her face in my hands. My breathing goes rapid, my heart thuds in my chest. It feels as though a monster is tearing my insides to shreds, trying to break out, trying to reach her.

I bring her body close to my chest. I clutch her,  grief overwhelms my body. I hear the distant roar of a siren. Enforcers trample their way to the scene. We have to leave. Emriss limp hand is crushed in mine as I hold her. My chest aches, my heart throbs dully. I loosen my grip on her hand and see something glowing inside it.

"The gemstone, you got it."

I simply stare at the stone. I told her that she had to build the weapon. It's all my fault. My eyes flick up. At the end of the bridge, I see her sisters standing there, watching. Anger beats my chest as I feel tears sting behind my eyes.

I hook my arm under jinx's leg. My other arm encircles her ribs. My fingers graze her cold skin. Her clothing has been torn and singed. I turn away from her sisters and walk away. My composure is a badly laid mask. Inside is the same animal trying to reach Emris, now it results in filling my brain with scenarios.

As we clear the bridge and its destruction I send my guards away. As I lose sight of them I break into a sprint. Emris is light but still, the excess weight tires me as I run. My legs burn and I gasp for breath.

I kick in the door to the doctor's lab. I don't have to say a word before he clears his table slowly. I wipe the table clean as equipment clatters to the floor. He nods and I set Emris down on the table.

Adrenaline rushes through my veins. The weight received leaves my body buzzing with anxiety. The doctor straps down her legs, waist, and arms. One strap goes over her head and keeps her safely against the table.

"Her injuries are severe."

"You think I can't see that." I spit, venom dripping from my mouth.

"I believe I can save her, but the process will be demanding."

I stare at Jinx, her violet eyes and stony expressions. Her smiles, her laugh, her voice. I now understand the price of addiction, the agony it causes your body and mind.

"Sometimes death is a mercy."

"She can take it."

"And before we begin, I must know... Are you prepared to lose her?"

I hear Emris stir behind me. She coughs. I whirl around and lean over the table.

"Emris?"

She groans dully in response. Her body tenses as she attempts to move against her restraints. A whimper escapes her lips before she loses consciousness again.

"She won't die, doctor."

I push a loose strand of hair away from her face. My hand lingers on her cheek as I lean over her. My chest shakes with each breath.