Liar

I stumble in the doors to my chasm. My body feels cold as a chill runs through my bones. My head spins lightly as I flip down in the chair at my desk. I glance in the mirror.

"You lost them."

"I didn't lose her. They took them."

I thread my hands through my hair and tug. The pain in my calf surges. Blood rushes in my ears, along with Mylo.

"She cares about the enforcer, you saw it. She protected her from you."

"She was there for me. Not the enforcer."

I grab a tool from my desk and squeeze. Outcomes a staple.

"Remember her name?"

"Why would I remember her name?"

I bring the stapler to my calf. I tear the black fabric away and pull the trigger.

"Gah!" I scream in pain. "Well, she's just some stupid topsider!"

I put another staple in my calf and groan in pain. My breathing speeds. I put in another and the world spins again. My vision goes blurry and I feel dizzy. I put another staple in my calf. I take a moment to breathe as my mind paces.

"Caitlyn," I remember.

I take another deep breath before putting another staple in my calf. I groan again and throw the stapler on the desk. I lean back in the chair and take deep breaths. My calf aches. I gaze up at the ceiling. A green firelight bug flies around my light. I hold up my hand and bring my thumb down.

"Phew." I breathe.

I will kill those firelights. I think to myself as the world goes black.

I don't hear him come home, I just know he has. My eyes fly open and I dart out my door. I perch on the rafters of his office. Only this time I hide in the dark. He sits at his desk and struggles to prick his eye.

I watch him carefully for a moment. Why would he lie to me? Why would he do this? I slip down from the rafters without a word. I come from behind his chair and grab the eye mechanism from his hand.

"Let me help you with that," I say slowly.

I push his head back into the chair roughly. I perch on his lap.

"Where have you been Emris?"

"Oh, you know. Here, there, chasing down dead ends. And guess what?" I twirl the object in my hand and grab his face. "They're not all dead."

"I can explain." He begins.

I prick him in the cheek.

"Don't move silly. I might hurt you."

"I didn't know. Marcus never told me they were in still water." I prick him again.

"But you found out they came back? You lied."

"I wanted to protect you."

"From what?"

"She and the enforcer are back for the crystal. Not you."

His voice is soft, careful. I can't help but believe him. I look into his blue eye, it's so pretty, how could such a pretty eye belong to a liar.